Memories of Wigfalls

My mate John Lake drove a wiggies van for some years.he probably has some tales to tell:hihi:

I worked for Wigfalls as a lorry driver for thier property maintainance. This was back in the late 60's early 70's. I was based at Walker St. in the Wicker. I proberbly visited every shop and piece of property they had, including the homes of the Directors, Ernshaws, Morrels and old Henry's son who at that time was knocking on a bit himself.

I worked for Wigfalls as a lorry driver for thier property maintainance. This was back in the late 60's early 70's. I was based at Walker St. in the Wicker. I proberbly visited every shop and piece of property they had, including the homes of the Directors, Ernshaws, Morrels and old Henry's son who at that time was knocking on a bit himself.

hiya i remember wigfalls shop on london rd at corner of boston st, i should remember it was 1948/9 i was 10 years old and i spent many weeks with the

weekly payment book to pay for our wireless that we had got on the weekly,it cost £ 20 a bush it was, i've seen same one on a tv advert only this week, 20 quid, dad was earning less than 10 pounds a week. the first tv i watched around this time was a 9" console that cost £120 , mum and dad

didnt have tv till 1962.,

I used to work at Wigfalls on the Wicker in the late 70's early 80's.

Does anyone remember the Legal department with Peter Hemmingfield?

And Rene Barnes, June Smith?

Mavis?????

We had a wonderful time there....never forget those precious memories.

Peter was such a fantastic manager, we laughed the whole day through.

I remember also Ralph Barnes..

Anyone still around from the above mentioned???

Love to hear from you, or someone who remembers...

My dad bought me my first adult bike from Wiggies at Firth Park. He paid cash and demanded a discount, which he got. The bike was a Raleigh. It must have been about 1964 or so.

My dad bought me a bike around that time,a Raleigh Clipper £9 10s 6d he also asked for discount,I think they must have made their money on the intrest from weekly payments.They gave him a pump and a saddle bag with a puncture outfit instead of discount.

my mum used to take us to Wiggies on London Road in the 60's to get our school uniforms, we had alsorts of things from them, clothes, TV, washing machine but at xmas it was great to go in there and see all the things we wanted,(not that we got them) it was like Aladdins cave

I know there was a Wigfalls in the Wicker but can anyone tell me if there was one half way up Spital Hill (the road that went up from the Wicker)

next door to a dress/sewing shop which was on a corner.Always had the windows blacked out.

Thank you..Carol

I worked at a couple of furniture shops, not sure if one was Wigfalls, I think it was where M&S is now, it was around the 60s, all HP payments had to be hand written in big ledgers,we had to climb up ladders to post in these enormous books, all paymants were cash back then so the was a lot of stealing going on,

I worked in the postal dept for a while, stuffing envelopes, and on the PA system calling the salesmen to other floors.

I often wondered what happend to my friend Sheila , she married Jeff a salesman who worked at the branch on the moor, I was one of their bridesmaids.

Hi, Hope the book is going well. I started my working life in the early seventies in the radio & tv dept at Walsh's (later Rackhams) It was just like Are you being served?!. A few years later I got a job as a sales rep with a company called 'Pinnacle electronics' supplying amongst many others Wigfalls.

After about six years with them a vacancy for brown goods buyer with Wigfalls arose so I applied for that, I did'nt get the job but sold them a batch of Sanyo video recorders at the interview!. Many years later I bought a free house out in the Peak district and the director who interviewed me lived in the same village! small world.

My gran used to live at 34A Spital Hill right across from Wiggy's. In 1941 just after the blitz, my dad (Arthur Bell Sr) was involved in repairing bomb damaged homes. He was driving his car on Spital Hill pulling a trailer loaded with building materials. The pin came out of the coupling and the trailer went through the front window of Wiggies and smashed a lot of the merchandice. I think my dad received a summons. I can't give you the exact date - but the car was a 1938 Austin 10 licence number DWA 888. I know it's wacky that I still remember the licence plate number - but I remember all the numbers of the cars he owned. I was reading through this string of posts about Wiggy's and this incident came to mind. I had a Wigfalls Royal bicycle and I remember that the kids used to call them Wiggy's gas pipes. They were pretty tough bikes but were quite heavy.

My brother George Thompson (Jud) worked at Wigfalls about late 50s or early 60s as TV engineer. Sadly Jud is no longer with us but I remember us being the first family on our street to get BBC2 - anyone got any memories

Denis Thompson :help:

Edited by denlin

i worked at wigfalls,bellhouse rd twixt 85 and 86,,salesman trainee-- my

manager was jack rudkin,,

also worked with richard from parsons cross and alan from rotherham(asshole)

jack was a top manager,came from chapeltown .

is he still alive,,??????????????????????

i remember the commission set up was ridiculous,,we had to sell discontinued items to get good spivs or syte amstrad or fidelity stereo "stack" systems to make up our wage

the best thing that happened to me while at wigfalls was meeting a chick from the school up the road who used to buy me donuts!!!

ha ha

whatever happened to richard pease and alan spencer,who i worked with

??

as well as jack rudkin ,,manager?

they got laid off shortly after me

I Worked at Wigfalls in the 80s.

Saw Gentleman Jack Rudkin about 8 months ago still as articulate.