Sign in to follow this  

Direct from suppliers

Originally posted by t020

Hyperthetically speaking though, in the situation I posted above, what would you do?

Depends. If he expanded to a reasonable size and could still offer me a good service as he does now then I'd probably still buy from him.

If he expanded and started to lose day to day control of the business I'd go somewhere else.

It's not really the size of the business that I am against, it's the fact that if you go to one of the big stores you pay more but get some pillock serving you who knows less about the products in the store than you. If you go into my mates shop you get served by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Originally posted by Lurch

Depends. If he expanded to a reasonable size and could still offer me a good service as he does now then I'd probably still buy from him.

If he expanded and started to lose day to day control of the business I'd go somewhere else.

It's not really the size of the business that I am against, it's the fact that if you go to one of the big stores you pay more but get some pillock serving you who knows less about the products in the store than you. If you go into my mates shop you get served by someone who knows what they're talking about.

Yes I understand that. Sometimes though, when they have offers on, the bigger stores can be the cheapest. It's just a case of avoiding being hounded by the over eager, under knowledgeable employees.

I still wouldn't go in if they were cheaper, I'd rather pay a bit extra to someone offering a good service. Believe it or not, I do have the aforementioned principles!

I still wouldn't go in if they were cheaper, I'd rather pay a bit extra to someone offering a good service. Believe it or not, I do have the aforementioned principles!

Even if you knew EXACTLY what you wanted and didn't need any customer service?

Yep, principles you see! I wouldn't give them a penny of my hard earned cash, they don't deserve it.

Yep, principles you see! I wouldn't give them a penny of my hard earned cash, they don't deserve it.

:lol: Ok, well I must not have the same principles then. :hihi:

Some retailers are on the ISTEL system for white goods. It enables them to offer the full range of products without stocking them all. (Some aren't and just get selected lines direct from the manufacturer.

To avoid paying the delivery cost - buy from John Lewis. They absorb delivery costs, have a 3 day lead on goods stocked at their own warehouse and have the rest available on the usual ISTEL system. Second year guarantee is free, and further warranty is offered at a narrow margin (so is not a money spinner/rip off).

Depending on the size/warehouse arrangements of the JL store you shop in, you may find some selected stock available for collection same day.

(I used to work for the P'boro' branch)

i thought john lewis were always generally more expensive than other shops though?

it's always been the case for what i've bought in the past, can't say the customer service is any better..... small independent shops are usually best in my experience if ur after real customer service