Sheffield Boys football 1950s

Hi CliffSharkey,Mick Dumpleton played with us for Meynell youth club in the amateur league late 60s,top player,last time I saw him was in the mid 80s,he was working for the D.S.S. Havn't seen him since.

Hi Cliffsharky,hope he's well,as I'm sure he's not retirement age.Do you know if he goes for a drink down Ecco?If so,where?I might pop down & have a drink with him,I'm only up the road on Shiregreen.

hi redted. yep mick goes round puds in village. best bet is sunday 12.30 in greyhound he takes fishing club .if he`s not doing that he is mostly in around that time.

Hi CliffSharkey,Mick Dumpleton played with us for Meynell youth club in the amateur league late 60s,top player,last time I saw him was in the mid 80s,he was working for the D.S.S. Havn't seen him since.

Hi RedTed

my dad, John Higgins, played for Meynell in the 60's

do you remember him?

I remember my Dad talking about Doug Mountain. It was the time when Doug ran the Matilda pub if i remember right??

cheers

---------- Post added 04-04-2013 at 12:53 ----------

I now know who RedTed is!! :hihi:

whoops.

Shane

I played for The Central Tech. in 48/9, one game was against Sheffield Boys, Albert Quixall played right wing for them, I played left full back, we had a few tussles.

I new Johnny Gray and Mick "Sam" Clarke who played in the late 50s but have not seen them for over twenty years. I know Dave "Bronco"Layne was bought by Wednesday from Bradford City so he may not been a Sheffield schoolboy

some of the sheffield boys team of 1958 to 1958 were rob hudson. jeff lee. dave hammond.barry twigg. dave redfern.mick ash who was one of the first players to go and play in america.dave blackburn.three of us went for trials from whitby rd.me barry everitt and joe rogers.it was at norfolk school.but it was clear early on they knew the team already.

Yes Steve, Ken played the year after us with Billy McCall, Ernie Oliver etc.

Ken and I were good friends later when we at Hillsborough and golfing with Mick Prendergast, Willie Lawson, Graham Pugh, a good golfer when he could be serious, and others.

I spoke to Ken a couple of times by phone over the last few years. He sent a nice letter to me when I was unwell some years ago and I have kept in touch although far too infrequently.

Stay in touch

Geoff

Hi again, I've had another look at the programme against Notttingham Boys,

Keith Pawson the goalkeeper worked on the Buses from Herries Road, Doug Mountain went into the pub trade, Robin Hardy played for Sheffield Wednesday & Rotherham United, Melvyn Powell I used to see waiting for a bus in the morning at Wordsworth Avenue/Deerlands Avenue, Jack Fowler went to Chesterfield and later became an established crown green bowler and used to frequent The Park Hotel, Trevor Grasby also ran for the Hallamshire Harriers, Freddie Hill went onto play for Bolton Wanderers for a few years, of course Dave Storf has already been discussed by other contributors, Mr Tyree has also contributed, which only leaves Mr.Crookes & Mr. Hancock unaccounted for.

has anybody got information or where I could look to get any on a mick dumpleton who I`m assuming played for sheffield boys because his brother says he`s got 2 or 3 english school boy caps.must be late 50s early 60s.I know his brother would be chuffed with any cause there mick does not talk much about it.

What a great topic,and I can hardly believe the connections, even though I'm soooooooo much younger than most of the guys mentioned.(I'll be 63 this year), and I've been in Canada for 25 years....Still playing.

Sam Clarke was a legend when I lived at Walkley, his girlfriend lived in our yard.

I worked with Dave redfern and we played on the same team for a while. I made contact with him a couple of years ago, he lives at Mosbro.

I played for the Angel (Grenoside) with Billy McCall.

Sunday Premier league games against Arbourthorne EA (Jack Fowler) I played for Jack later at Dial House. Often wonder if he's still around. Mick Dumpleton played for Tavern with Billy Buckley, Johnny Parrot etc.

Someone mentioned John Beresford back there too, that would be John Snr. he played for Chesterfield & Notts. County. His son John Jr. Played at Newcastle.

Great memories.

David Storf used to play 'park' football occasionally with us lads in Millhouses Park in the late 50's. He will be about 65 now. Signed up for the Fowls Juniors but no record of him playing for the first team. Went on to play for Rochdale and Barrow. May well have played for Sheffield Boys.

Sits in the North stand every home match with his sons.

Hi Keith

Thanks for trying. I had good friends at that time , such as Ronnie Bryan who played centre forward (old fashioned or what?) and also England Boy's. Dave Travis, John Stanbra,Robin Lee and more. It would have been nice to make contact with them again.

Also I have not heard from Ian B. but will pass your best wishes and question when I speak to him.

Geoff

Went with Meynell school to Wembley to watch Ronnie Bryan play for England v Germany,we won 4-1 and Ronnie got a hat-trick.He was my hero,until I ended up playing against him years later.I was playing for Grenoside club & he was playing for Dial House club.I didn't recognise him till someone pointed him out,he had not grown much since his schooldays and was a little on the rotund side.During the game I jumped for a ball & someone either punched or kneed me in the back sending me into a somersault & knocking all the wind out of me.There were no subs in those days so the game carried on around me.When I came to my senses,I found out who had done this to me & was a little disappointed to find it was Ronnie,I thought he was better than that,so I just bided my time & gave him one back.:huh: