Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

It was all a facade and was located where Waterstone's is now in Orchard Square. You could get in at the back of the Stonehouse by going down a road which was approx next to where Museum is (off the road where the bookies is). There was also a hairdressers just inside the entrance which is next to the bearded bloke in white on the left. Disappointingly, it was just a store room upstairs for crisps & glasses etc.

thanks so much for posting the picture. It was a great place to go in those days and brought back some very happy memories.

And after a few drinks, who cared about the line on the ceiling anyway?

Just how I remember it it, but not full of young men in suits :P It'd be the late 70's early 80's when I frequented the Stonehouse and it used to be packed in that courtyard :)

Did guys have to wear a jacket & tie to get in clubs back then?

great pic.....looks like early seventies lunchtime session, full of office workers, I didnt start going in till about 77/78 geat times

Around 1979/80 an old shipmate of mine had his stag do in Sheffield and a fair number of the ships company came up for it. During our visit to the Stonehouse I particularly recall one of them asking me "What happens when it rains?" :D

always used to meet up in there, before starting the ritual tour of the towns pubs

great memories..

even the marples n crazy diasy

I used to work just around the corner from there.

Brilliant picture...thanks for the memories.

Great pic, my and my hubby used to go there in the early 70s when we were first married. Vic Atkinson was the landlord there with his wife Muriel. Bouncers were Bob Hodder and Dave (cant remember his surname) I remember some great lock-ins on a Saturday night.

Thanks for that picture in 1975 i worked at Fiesta Club i went in with a lad just moved to Sheffield,he could not belive they had a bar in the open

Went in with him at lunchtime then penny dropped

I totally loved that courtyard. Somehow, even though you knew that you were indoors, you really felt you were sitting outside on a balmy summer evening with a starry sky overhead. It was never very trendy though, so we didn't go in there that often.