Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Stonehouse, dreadfull souless place.

looks ok to me in the video, im a punk tho so never went too "trendy" for me lol

I'm trying to find out about the history of the Stone House. I understand the 'themed' Stone House opened in 1971 with the earlier pub being around on the same site before that. Now this is the bit I'm not sure about- was the old pub heavily remodelled to incorporate/ extend the new pub with the famous cobble street scene etc or completely demolished and rebuilt? I know further changes came when Orchard Sq was built but I'm struggling to find any info about the earlier Stone House and what happened when the new themed one was opened. Can anyone help? 

5 hours ago, theimposter said:

I'm trying to find out about the history of the Stone House. I understand the 'themed' Stone House opened in 1971 with the earlier pub being around on the same site before that. Now this is the bit I'm not sure about- was the old pub heavily remodelled to incorporate/ extend the new pub with the famous cobble street scene etc or completely demolished and rebuilt? I know further changes came when Orchard Sq was built but I'm struggling to find any info about the earlier Stone House and what happened when the new themed one was opened. Can anyone help? 

As far as I recall as to The Stone House prior to 1971 was that the part that was open to the public ran from the Church Street entrance to where the toilets were. ie; what became the begining of the courtyard that had yet to be invented but was part of the premises, perhaps a storage area. The Church Street entrance and exit was the only one for customers. The bar was 'L' shaped with part of it running parallel to Church Street the other part to the left of it. When the the pub was refurbished in the early 70's.. the previous landlord-a Dutchman who's name I forget-had left and he was replaced by the   ' larger than life ' (I mean that in a nice way) and very acccomadating mine host called Vic (again, last name I forget). Vic had a striking resemblance to actor Windsor Davies ('It Ain't Half Hot Mum'), sadly Vic passed away in the early 1980's while still the licensee and the place never seemed -to me- to be the same  after. With due respect to later tenants, I left Sheffield in 1986 so there could still have been good ones that followed Vic.

2 hours ago, St Petre said:

As far as I recall as to The Stone House prior to 1971 was that the part that was open to the public ran from the Church Street entrance to where the toilets were. ie; what became the begining of the courtyard that had yet to be invented but was part of the premises, perhaps a storage area. The Church Street entrance and exit was the only one for customers. The bar was 'L' shaped with part of it running parallel to Church Street the other part to the left of it. When the the pub was refurbished in the early 70's.. the previous landlord-a Dutchman who's name I forget-had left and he was replaced by the   ' larger than life ' (I mean that in a nice way) and very acccomadating mine host called Vic (again, last name I forget). Vic had a striking resemblance to actor Windsor Davies ('It Ain't Half Hot Mum'), sadly Vic passed away in the early 1980's while still the licensee and the place never seemed -to me- to be the same  after. With due respect to later tenants, I left Sheffield in 1986 so there could still have been good ones that followed Vic.

Thanks for the info- I thought this was the case when I have looked at old maps prior to the refurb. I think the Dutchman was Bill Hoffmann and Vic- Vic Atkinson landlord 75-81.

2 minutes ago, theimposter said:

Thanks for the info- I thought this was the case when I have looked at old maps prior to the refurb. I think the Dutchman was Bill Hoffmann and Vic- Vic Atkinson landlord 75-81.

That's correct on the two landlord's names. Thank you.

when the pub was last went through refurbishment the landlord was Jim Mcevit he moved from the Fellbrig to the Stonehouse not sure who had the pub after Jim left

Since some of my posts have been deleted by Admin on another Thread!:suspect:

This is mainly for 'Ontarian'  :thumbsup:.... And anyone else who may be interested.:)

I was working In sheffield on a new shop I'm from Birmingham I met this lovely girl called Diane in 1972 in the summer she showed me the Stonehouse pub I was amazed at old shop fronts and a court yard we went in there every time we went out before Bailey's night club wished we could meet up danielbarker0851@gmail com XX

In my first year at Uni it was a regular on the crawl. "5 pints of your strongest lager" was the order in those days, usually Lowenbrau.

I look back and shudder.

Anyone remember the Stone house  pub .    I used to meet friends there ,  and the hole in the ground  meet friends there too.   

Crazy daisy .   

All gone , changed but have good memories of these. Also Top rank  that was a good night out.  Genevieve Met my ex husband there, still good memories .

My workmate a lad called Brian was due to get engaged to his girl friend on Boxing day in the early 1970's. Anyway his girl friend got pregnant and so it was arranged for him to get married straight after Christmas.

That meant that he had his bachelor night in  mid December.

We all met up and eventually ended up in the courtyard at the Stonehouse, after a couple of drinks the Salvation Army came in and started to sing Christmas carols.To allow them to be more visible they were allowed up the stairs to sing on the small balcony and Brian somehow managed to gratecrash the choir and lustily joined in the singing.

Unfortunately for him the management took a dim view of this and unceremoniously removed him but boy did we have a good laugh.