Memories of The Stonehouse Pub

Hay, I used to go in this City center pub

a lot in the 70's. used to go 4 dinner with mi then g/f on weekdays and poss sat's. Who remembers the large steak pies with chips and gravy that they did back then, Mmmm, Followed by a nice pint of Tetleys?

Also the Courtyard bar with it's night time appearence?

It's compleatly changed nowadays!

Originally posted by Trekker

Also the Courtyard bar with it's night time appearence?

It's compleatly changed nowadays!

The courtyard was very believable wasn't it! I went in with an australian visitor - after an hour or so she commented that she was surprised to be so warm sat outside in winter!

My aunt used to run the Stonehouse and use to pop in for my free pint and meal when I worked acroos the road in the early 80s building the old Job centre building.

Didn't the Stonehouse have the honour of having the longest bar anywhere in England at that time....before they gutted it and totally killed the special atmosphere that it had!

Originally posted by leeox

Didn't the Stonehouse have the honour of having the longest bar anywhere in England at that time

The longest bar was introduced when they killed the courtyard.

I remember Bill Hoffman running the Stonehouse for years and I reckon they were the real heydays of the place.

His daughter now has the Sportsman at Redmires and is an excellent pub run on the same friendly manner that her father ran the Stonehouse.

I thought that it was the students Union bar at the Sheffield University that boasted the longest bar in England, I may be wrong???

Happy Days!

The Stonehouse in the courtyard phase...a theme pub before they were invented! Unlike modern chained themes I thought it worked well. It was good Tetleys at that stage but I remember before the courtyard was introduced that it was almost undrinkable so that was another improvement at the same time.

Stonehouse was a theme pub that really did work. Used to go in Wed, Fri, Sat. Always thought the court yard had no roof until I started going in Sat afternoon.

Always amused to watch people come in & straight away look up trying to work out if yhere was a roof there.

Used to love the big Victorian saloon bar.

Then one fine, or not so fine, day someone somewhere had the ''great'' idea of doing it up & as a consequence doing it in.

Whent in after the refurb. Very dissapointed.

My mum used to go and have her hair cut in town when I was a kid, and I used to go along with her. While I waited for her, I used to peer through a window that was inside the hairdresser's shop, and through it you could see the cobbled street courtyard of the Stonehouse. Fascinating to a child. I assume that on the other side of the wall, the window I was peering through belonged to one of those fake olde-worlde shops or houses they used to have in there.

I only recall going in there once after I had come of drinking age, and it was full of over-tanned mid-eighties types with Peter Stringfellow hair. Not my scene. So I never went again. It was a real quirky place though.

Ha the stonehouse pub now there was a good drinking hole to go in,spent many a happy saturday afternoon in there. I was in there one saturday with a mate of mine we had just done a 16 hour night shift and so we was gagging for a beer when you have spent 12 hours in the forge in front of a bloody big furnace then you need to cool down,Anyway we had been in about 30 minutes when I needed to go to the loo on my way back I noticed this huge chap stood at the bar with his wife he was drinking brandy and his wife was on the g&t's anyway when I looked at the two of them i couldnt believe who it was stood there it was non other than tommy cooper boy was he a big man anyway I goes over to my mate and says have you seen who is stood at the end of the bar he turned round and says ho yes tommy cooper I had a chat with him while you was in the loo,tommy cooper was my hero so much that when he was at the festia I went to see him 6 nights on the trot, now there was a comedian pity he died while doing his act.so the stonehouse can anybody remember the stocks what use to be in the pub I once got my younger brother to put his head through them and his hands he didnt get out for nearly two hours once he was in he was locked in the bar man released him he was ready for a beer after that why did they have to change one of the best pubs in sheffield can anybody remember what the sign said over the bar no it was called the pig & whistle.

Guest poppins

Was the Stonehouse that pub near the cutlers hall ?