'Affinity' has changed ownership

Or has it closed ? Oh no - no chance to slurp a beer from another plastic glass now ... or hear Rusty haunches spinning her 78s ...

Hmmmm lucky you all still have lions lair open then!

I have seen the sign but dont know much else.

Anyone care to expand?

that was short lived!

hmmm wonder if someone else will take on the challenge and change it into something more "classier"

What a joke. :rolleyes:

Is that the one on Campo Lane? Went past the other Saturday night, and it only looked to have a couple of people in there - its a shame, but it's too out of the way surely?

yes it was the one on campo lane

its a little out of the way but it still could have worked if they marketed it different....the area is mostly officers so if they marketed it more as a "working" pub than a gay bar, serving food etc it could have possibly worked.....then at night maybe merge it into a gay "friendly" bar

Well what can I say................I went on Saturday and from about 8:30 till 9:30 is was pretty dead but then it started to get busy.

Me and my partner were talking about this on that night and we said that it seems gay people will only support these places when they are new, when the novelty wears off they want something else, or as I like to say Fickle!!!!!!! sorry but its true! people wanted a trendy bar in town and you got one, it was busy for a few weeks then booom we all complain when it is closing, but we/you dont support it and someone has even said in a previous post "classier" well the Fuel people gave and onow you want more.

Matilda Tavern- busy for a bit then shut

Manhattan- Busy for a bit (when it reopened years ago) now shut

Bar opposite Currys (top of the moor) now a rock bar- busy for a bit then shut

FAB- busy for a bit- now shut

Fuel (Red Room and old Purple) busy for a bit now shutting and shut

Affinity- busy for a bit- shutting

Princess Street (cant remember name, Alan and Angels old club in town)- busy for a bit- now shut

Lions Lair- busy on opening weekend (dead when i went in on Saturday)- cant think James will extend his time there longer than 3 months!

Nights they had in National Centre for Popular Music and City Hall- Shut

Pussy Cats- didnt even bother

I would like to see some of the "queens" on here try and run a bar in Sheffield with absolutly no support in the community, instead of saying that they have not made an effort, go out and do something about it, dont slag it off and say well "we told you so". Certain people dont deserve anything as all they wantto do is moan! I say haul ass out over the weekend and get drinking, otherwise stop moaning and go and spend you money in Manchester get to Cruz and dance with all the other bitches!

Sorry but I am just so mad

i would hardly class fuel / Affinity as classy.....Affinity only looked nice (ishh) due to the previous tennants being boho.

I agree with comment about people not supporting it as much in the week etc.

Maybe if someone come with something different that a club that plays chart pop music and spice girls all the time it may take off.....Dance music seems to be the music of choice..........

Well what can I say................I went on Saturday and from about 8:30 till 9:30 is was pretty dead but then it started to get busy.

Fuel (Red Room and old Purple) busy for a bit now shutting and shut

Affinity- busy for a bit- shutting

Princess Street (cant remember name, Alan and Angels old club in town)- busy for a bit- now shut

Lions Lair- busy on opening weekend (dead when i went in on Saturday)- cant think James will extend his time there longer than 3 months!

Yeh Saturday and Friday were queit ish, but like you say it does seem to pick up later on. I have already secured my rent deal for 6 months due to the CPO that is hanging over it. All I can say is that when you have a small venue the overheads are much easier to control. Having been in Affinity last night when there were no more than 20 people in, for some reason there were 3 bar staff and the DJ, now I would guess that would run at £80 for staff and maybe £80 for the Dj =£160 Now to get that back in the first place you need to sell £370 of drink, and that is before you pay any bills! At least when lions is quiet mid week I only have one bar staff on, also food seems to be picking up slowly, the advertising push starts this week now it has settled a little. Another thing to consider is it was Climax last week and most of the student population has gone home for Easter, this of course wont really help.

Well it is now the first major bank holiday of the year Friday Saturday Sunday and Monday, So lets hope that people arent all rushing off to Manchester Leeds and London etc and they are going to support some of Sheffields venues!

I would like to see some of the "queens" on here try and run a bar in Sheffield with absolutly no support in the community, instead of saying that they have not made an effort, go out and do something about it, dont slag it off and say well "we told you so". Certain people dont deserve anything as all they wantto do is moan!

I have also mentioned in several places that should anyone have ideas for me and want anything imparticular (a Gay alternative night is being looked in to after being suggested by a group of customers) Then let me know! Myself and Kim are there almost all the time between us, dont let the fact I am very good looking ;) lol, put you off coming over and letting me know what YOU want.

You'll be lucky!!! support and some of the Sheffield gays should not even be put in the same sentence. To be honest though, its nice when the little queens do run off to Manchester et al. at least we dont have to put up with men looking like girls in girls clothes with girls voices screaming round slaging everyone and their dogs off!!!

I know, before anyone says anything, that I am doing too!

I am off on Friday or Saturday, I hope!, will grag a few people out too!

Affinity is closing. I think that's a shame.

I have never been one for Sheffield gay bars. I have always found them to be grubby. Finally Sheffield had a really nice venue, with lovely decor and a great atmosphere, instead of a back street, hidden away grotty bar/club. I have actually been to Affinity more than any other gay bar since it opened and its a real shame that the managment cant bring in the customers. Gay people have never supported gay venues, which I cant understand. They always end up back at the DUMPS, what a hoval, its bloody awful. Why? What's wrong with the GAYS of Sheffield?

Let's face it. Sheffield will never have a good gay scene unless someone buys a plot of land and actually buys a gay scene for us all. Its no good having bars scattered around sheffield, the scene needs to have 5 or 6 nice bars some cafes and restaurants with a great club all in the same area, then it just might work.