St Pauls Granville Rd

Well its taken some time to get people to at least say they went to St Pauls

Who's class were you in

Found this thread much too late, loved my time at St Paul's , left around 68, names such as Paula, Guissepina, and my first real crush Maria Gillott. Would love to attend a reunion (although no longer there)?

:):)

Hi. It is my dads 60th next month and I am putting together a memorabilia album/scrap book together of his life and so on. Did anyone know him or go to school with him at St Paul's? His name was Anthony Tuckwood, born 1954. Wanting any pictures or ideas of where to get things for this album or to even put you in contact with an old school friend :). Many thanks!

Found this thread much too late, loved my time at St Paul's , left around 68, names such as Paula, Guissepina, and my first real crush Maria Gillott. Would love to attend a reunion (although no longer there)?

:):)

A couple of years ago I happened to meet Paul Perrozzi at his fruit stall just outside where the new market now stands on the Moor, he mentioned the old Catholic schools and told me that he had been to several St. Pauls reunions and was in touch still with some of the old pupils.

Another mate, Vic Ellis is the Keeper at City Road Cemetery and lives in the cottage just inside the Manor Lane entrance, Vic too is an ex pupil and his memory is phenomenal, he remembers everyone and everything, his stories have you in raptures.

I do believe that they were only there for one year before leaving.

A couple of years ago I happened to meet Paul Perrozzi at his fruit stall just outside where the new market now stands on the Moor, he mentioned the old Catholic schools and told me that he had been to several St. Pauls reunions and was in touch still with some of the old pupils.

Another mate, Vic Ellis is the Keeper at City Road Cemetery and lives in the cottage just inside the Manor Lane entrance, Vic too is an ex pupil and his memory is phenomenal, he remembers everyone and everything, his stories have you in raptures.

I do believe that they were only there for one year before leaving.

I was quite a bit younger than Victor but used to go to St Oswalds and St Pauls (for 2 years before going to De La Salle) with his younger brother Nick who was in the year above me and who I still occasionally see around town I think they used to live on Boundary Road

There was a lad in my class at St Oswalds called David Hopkinson who I think was Paul Perozzis sisters son. She used to work the fruit stall at the top of Dixon Lane with her mother

I left Ossies for D.L.S.

Speaking of Nick, when he was a little kid he hardly paid any attention to school work but his Mum (Becky) and his gran (Ginnie) loved a flutter and if the bet came up as a 8/9 year old he could work out the winnings on a 6/4/1 in a matter of seconds.

Different world then but good people and lifelong friends.

P.S. Tummon Road.:thumbsup:

I left Ossies for D.L.S.

Speaking of Nick, when he was a little kid he hardly paid any attention to school work but his Mum (Becky) and his gran (Ginnie) loved a flutter and if the bet came up as a 8/9 year old he could work out the winnings on a 6/4/1 in a matter of seconds.

Different world then but good people and lifelong friends.

P.S. Tummon Road.:thumbsup:

You must have been a star pupil as not many passed the 11 plus to go straight to De La Salle. I think Howard Cocker, Paul Thompson and the first name escapes me but the second name was Cousins spring to mind.

I did enjoy my school days at Ossies though and even did not mind getting 2 buses from Gleadless Valley for 5 years.

Talk about how times changed. We had been playing on the lion rock on the back fields at dinner time and after the bell we were taken into the hall where Miss Finnegan the asst. head told us all that she had a really special announcement to make.

She said the scholarship results were through and that she was thrilled to tell us that our tiny school had four pupils that had passed, she called us one by one to the stage ( one girl and three boys) I was the last to be called with the words " this boy is in the top five percent in the results and I have to give him credit because he has worked like a ******,The word has been stricken but suffice it to say it began with N and ended with R.

And at this moment he looks a little like one too" (remember I had been warring on the back fields).

Innocent times with innocent people.

By the way V. they've built a new school now to accommodate Manor Lane pupils after its closure.

Edited by rossyrooney

Talk about how times changed. We had been playing on the lion rock on the back fields at dinner time and after the bell we were taken into the hall where Miss Finnegan the asst. head told us all that she had a really special announcement to make.

She said the scholarship results were through and that she was thrilled to tell us that our tiny school had four pupils that had passed, she called us one by one to the stage ( one girl and three boys) I was the last to be called with the words " this boy is in the top five percent in the results and I have to give him credit because he has worked like a ******,The word has been stricken but suffice it to say it began with N and ended with R.

And at this moment he looks a little like one too" (remember I had been warring on the back fields).

Innocent times with innocent people.

By the way V. they've built a new school now to accommodate Manor Lane pupils after its closure.

Indeed the world of political correctness has gone mad.

Remember Miss Finnegan and all the teachers (Mrs Snell, Mrs Driver, and Miss Mcnally very fondly and Miss Broofden less so. That also reminded me that I think one of the infant class teachers Mrs Riley had sons there and I Think it was the older one Adrian also went to De La SAlle .

I knew they had built a new school a friend of mines wife was teaching there until here retirement not long ago. I though they had merged with St Johns on the Wybourn though did not realise it was Manor Lane. I suppose now with the school presumably being more secular there will be no mass on Friday mornings ( with fish for lunch) or Benediction on Wednesday after school .

Oh my gosh ... I'd completely forgotten about fish on Fridays, the school cooks were all moms of pupils and I would toady up to them to get seconds.

I'm sat here savouring a plate of fish, chips and mushy peas ( the classroom stank like a middin on Friday afternoons:gag::hihi:).

Thanks for the memory V.

Remember 'taffy' the caretaker? His bungalow was at the side of the bike sheds, which were at the top of the steep banking with a wall at the bottom separating the school from the ruins of a building owned by the duke of norfolk.

Cross country round norfolk park was always a good excuse to have a mess about in the park.

Remember 'taffy' the caretaker? His bungalow was at the side of the bike sheds, which were at the top of the steep banking with a wall at the bottom separating the school from the ruins of a building owned by the duke of norfolk.

Cross country round norfolk park was always a good excuse to have a mess about in the park.

Yes remember Taffy was not keen on Cross Country with Mr Warren preferred football with Mr Wright

One of the benefits of going to De La Salle was no more cross country/athletics just Golf up at Arnie Palmers

When I was at D.L.S. we were bussed by Law Brothers to Beauchief for cross country and football.