Sheffield boxers from the Thirties.

I remember Eddie Lax vaguely, was he ever a professional? If you have any info I would be grateful, he went to school with my father who is over 90 now but remembers him.

xenia I know the lax family very well , we were all talking about eddie last week , how he used to take all the kids out at weekend and they would march in a line and walk for miles round woodhouse , olive lax died last year .All my family grew up with the lax's .what is your fathers name ,was he from woodhouse . PM me if you want to keep the name private .

Mrs Mighty Bo's grandad was champion of North Yorkshire sometime around the 20's & 30's. Don't know what division (maybe featherweight) he fought in or at what level but if anyone knows anything about him we'd love to hear from you!!! His name was Richard (more commonly known as Dick) Inkles

dickie inkles was married to nellie who was a formidable woman in her own rights she clouted me afew times dickie was a featherwieght an a powerfull hitter for a man of his size he used to finish work at orgreave pit with his brothers philip.walt.sid philip lived at handsworth all is married life with his philip who also worked at the pit in later years.walt died many many yrs ago sid lived next door but one to him dickie at 77 jubilee rd an sid at 81 they had 5 children.as follows RHOADA.MADGE.JOAN.RICHARD.CAROLE.RHOADA lives in brinsworth still.joan lives in woodhouse still.carole moved to blackpool.richard who is called young dickie moved to tattersall in lincolnshire an madge died in 1987 in skegness lincolnshire the reason why i know all this its because dickie more or less fetch me up took me fishing with sid on his motorbike an sidecar for im dickies an nellies oldest granchild im stephen madges son so you must be related to me an i have a few old photos of dickie an his brothers an of the family inkles

Are there any old (and I mean really old) boxing fans who remember the names Lol Nutbrown, Arly Hollingsworth and Jack Martin? I think they were middleweights, or perhaps feathers. Especially Arly Hollingsworth. They were all active in the late 20s and 30s.

i remember arly when he worked for jessop an saviles on carlisle rd in the 70s he was a labourer in the blacksmith shop an arly lived at top of weedon st i remeber 1 day a chap mouth of at him an he warned him to stop sparring upto him the next thing he belted him with a beautiful right an knocked him over the mess cabin table into the lockers an he was spark out an he never got any lip of that young chap again plus he also sparred with dickie inkles a few times they was featherweights an flywieghts

Edited by inkspot
missed some out

In more recent times does anyone rember a lad called David Knight? I think his dad was a bit of a big hitter around the town in the 7os, i saw him fight Mick Mills at the Top rank, bllod and thunder wasnt in it, is he still around ?

david sadly died bout 6yrs ago he was working in lowistoff as a scaffolder 4 a company in the powerstation i think he was in a pub when he had a altrication with a bloke an gave him a goodhiding when he came back after time an attacked him with a baseball bat from behind an there was 4 of them so he didnt stand a chance sadly he died in hospital he never recovered an his dad lol who met in the wicker in the 70s was heart broken as well as davids family.whose son young david takes after is dad as a scaffolder an got his own business in sheffield.'sadly also lol died acouple of yrs after david i hope this helps you in anyway

Does anybody have any information on a Frankie Barron? he used to come to Firth-Vickers with a massive suitcase to sell allsorts of stuff. His favourite saying was "dont draw me", and he wasn't slow in smacking anyone who did draw him.

I understand he was good fighter in his day.

Edited by JackD

Does anybody have any information on a Frankie Barron? he used to come to Firth-Vickers with a massive suitcase to sell allsorts of stuff. His favourite saying was "dont draw me", and he wasn't slow in smacking anyone who did draw him. I understand he was a good fighter in his day.

Hi bobby 99,

I Hope you can help me, I have been looking for some information about Elijah { Tiny } Smith. Iam looking on behalf of his Granddaughter Tina Beeby she can only remember that he was a Boxer then became a Builder. I am Tina's sister inlaw Karen. I HOPE YOU CAN HELP.

Thanks Karen

I have a couple of photos that someone on here kindly let me have I will email them to you. I don't really know a lot except that he lost a lot of money when he took on building some houses in Woodhouse with another builder and I was helping him try to get his money bach about 1964. I remember seeing him as a guest on "This is your Life"some years ago. He was a very nice fellow and he was very kind.

I did some secretarial work for Tiny Smith in the mid 1960', he was a bantamweight champion in the early 30's, he was quite old then he'd tried his hand at housebuilding. Very nice man he's lost his driving licence for life... don't know why, I never asked him.

hi, tiny smith is my great grandad and my dad has desperatly been trying to find some information about him can you help?

ye tht was my great uncle, he raised my grandad as a child arther smith. I heard they was bad guys in the day my grandad was laid 2 rest near his uncle. I always visit my uncle tiny,s grave every time i go 2 see my grandad xx DOES ANY 1 KNW OF HIS FAMILY THT IS LIVING SO I CAN GO SEE IF THEY ON FACE BOOK

hi im tinys great grand daughter i have been trying to find out some information on him for my dad, rod smith.