Sheffield boxers from the Thirties.

Hi Texas, I would have been 10 or 11 when I went to Grey's so it would have 1945/46 and I recall he had a full size boxing ring at that time. I don't remember anyone by the name of Whitehouse but I remember Johny Hartle, we were in the same class at Central Tech. Johny was extremely strong and got us out of a few scrapes at the Roxy ballroom on a Saturday night. I believe his father was a wrestling promoter or had some connection to wrestling at the ????? barracks.

See my post on Johnny Hartle on the National Service thread.

My gr gr Uncle was a professional boxer in Sheffield @ early 1900's called Frederick Swift - family lived in Netherthorpe area , he was also an actor of sorts taking after his father Henry Hudson Swift and several other members of the family who trod the boards - not sure what movies they were in tho' ! :hihi::hihi::hihi:

Anyone remember a guy called Walter (Wally) Scott, a light heavyweight.

He had a cauliflower ear (which he got sparring with the then world champion) Primo Carnera.

I have had an email due to this thread from Arthur Cuthbert the son of Johnny Cuthberts Brother from Panama city.

Aurthur has spoken to Al Brown an apponent of Johnny who remembers the bout well.

He must have a fantastic memory as the fight with Al Brown was in 1931 and Brown was disqualified in that fight giving the win to Johnny.

Just for the record Cuthbert had fought Al Brown before in 1928 the result was a draw.

I will reply to you Arthur with a full record of Johnnys other bouts soon.

This particular subject and the people contributing info. from near and far, just goes to show, firstly, what a useful and intersting ' place ' S.F. can be.......and secondly what ' community ' and ' local culture ' is all about.

It amazes me sometimes how many ' old ' Sheffielders are connected to each other, one way or another. Once upon a time, we might have been all chatting about it in the local pub. Now it's the internet !

Keep it flowing, folks !

Johnny Cuthberts career was complex and spanned 13 years from 1921 to 1934.

Let me give you a rundown on his non championship bouts.

He won 67 non championship fights on points, he won on knock out 11 times, he won on RSC / RTD 21 times he won 7 fights due to his oppent being disqualified, he drew 11, lost 20 fights on points, lost 2 fights on RSC/RTD, was himself disqualified once and knocked out himself just 4 times.

Heres the insight.

Won PTS (67)

1921 Young Hazeltine,

1922 Billy Moss (twice), George Wright.

1923 Tiny smith and Kid Nicholson.

1924 Elky Clark, Walter Stanton, Ted Williams, Kid Anthony, Teddy Murton, Tommy Dowd, Harry Corbett, Billy Hindley.

1925 Charlie Stone, Mick Hill, Young Bull, Jackie Kidd Berg (twice), Johnny Britton, Jack Dando, Johnny Curley (twice), Bugler Lake, Frank Carberry, Norman Radford, Billy Mathews.

1926 Tom Bailey, Wattie Price, Kid kelly, Jack Slattery, Battling Van Dyke, Jack Jones, Johnny Curley, Fred Green, Harry Corbett, Falgere.

1927 Francois Sybille, Young Johnny Brown (twice), Jack Hyams (twice), Billy Brown, Edouard Mascart.

1928 Vincent Cerdan, Dom Volante, Eddie Donoghue, Johnny McMilan.

1929 Edouard Mascart, Paul Noak.

1930 Benny Valgar, Aine Gyde, Nobby Baker, Len Tiger Smith, Teddy Brown.

1931 Guy Bonaguere, Chuck Parker.

1932 Chuck Parker, Dom Volante, Norman Dale, Tommy Bland.

1933 Jim Learoyd, Jimmy Stewart, Francois Machtens, Tommy Spiers, Tony Butcher, Joe Kerr.

Won on CO ( knock out)

1923 Clarence Booth,

1926 Frank McAloran

1927 Gustave Humery

1929 Billy Evans, Billy Streets, Nipper Pat Daly, Peter Cuthbertson.

1930 Len Tiger Smith, Kid Simende.

1931 Frank McAlran, Tommy John.

Won on RSC /RTD

1921 H Milwards

1923 Jim Hauge, Joe Kileen.

1924 Young Fred Welsh, Leo Kelly, Young Lundy.

1926 Jack Cooper, Mick Hill, Bugler Lake, Key Oslen, Victor Steverlinck.

1927 William Minchel, Young Clancy, Horace Barber, Mur Santos.

1928 Fred Merryweather, Cockney Buxton.

1929 Jim travis.

1930 Roy Beresford

1933 Little Minor, Ginger Jones.

Won by Disqualification

1923 Jim Lowry,.

1925 Bill Colbourne.

1926 Harry Corbett

1928 Musgrave Humery, Antoine Ascensio.

1931 AL Brown.

1933 Ettore Mortale.

Draws.

1923 Harry Leach.

1924 Albert Colcombe

1925 Jack Cooper

1926 Frank Carberry, Francois Sybille (twice). Harry Corbett.

1927 Teddy Baldock

1928 Andre Routis, AL Brown.

1929 Benny Valgar.

Lost on points.

1922 Tiny Smith.

1923 Harry Leach, Tom Bailey, Kid Kelly.

1924 Tony Thomas, Tommy Murray.

1925 Bugler Lake, Harry Corbett, Joe Fox.

1926 Frank Harvey.

1927 Knud Larsen (twice), Young Johnny Brown.

1929 Dom Volante.

1930 Kid Nicholson.

1932 Cleto Locatelli.

1933 Francois Machtens, Walter Deckman, Jake Killrain.

1934 Seaman Tommy Watson.

Lost by being knocked out.

1925 Ernie Swach.

1931 Douglas Parker

1933 Gustave Humery

1934 Freddie Miller.

Lost by RSC/RTD

1925 Jackie Kidd Berg

1928 Gustave Humery.

Lost by disqualification.

1925 Johnny Brown

I have had an email due to this thread from Arthur Cuthbert the son of Johnny Cuthberts Brother from Panama city.

Aurthur has spoken to Al Brown an apponent of Johnny who remembers the bout well.

He must have a fantastic memory as the fight with Al Brown was in 1931 and Brown was disqualified in that fight giving the win to Johnny.

Just for the record Cuthbert had fought Al Brown before in 1928 the result was a draw.

I will reply to you Arthur with a full record of Johnnys other bouts soon.

Hi Paul, i'm the grandson of one of Cuthbert's opponents, Nipper Pat Daly. Would love to get in touch with Arthur Cuthbert. Is there any chance you could PM me his contact details?

BTW I think there might be some confusion with the Al Brown thing, as Al Brown died in 1951.

Hi Paul, i'm the grandson of one of Cuthbert's opponents, Nipper Pat Daly. Would love to get in touch with Arthur Cuthbert. Is there any chance you could PM me his contact details?

BTW I think there might be some confusion with the Al Brown thing, as Al Brown died in 1951.

Hi Alex I have PMd you I will send you details of Arthur Cuthbert as soon as poss.

Is Nipper still alive by any chance, I do doubt it but would be inyerested in some info on Nipper.

Paul

Lol Nutbrown became the caretaker at Arborthorne school in the late 60s early 70s. Lovely man. Mick Cowan occasionally trained there. Rex Grays gym was used by Billy and Ronnie Calvert (Billy was one of the best featherweights ever, if he had not boxed in the same era as Howard Winstone would be properly recognised.

Well thanks for that xenia. I was beginning to think Lol Nutbrown never existed. My interest in him was started many years ago by a photograph owned by a relative of mine. It was one of the early color tinted photos, I remember he was in the typical boxing attitude, wearing reddish trunks, and he had the patent leather haircut of the old days. It must've been taken in the late 20's I reckon.

And Mick. Now that's a coincidence. Would he have known Lol I wonder?

I wonder what happened to Arly Hollingsworth.

Mrs Mighty Bo's grandad was champion of North Yorkshire sometime around the 20's & 30's. Don't know what division (maybe featherweight) he fought in or at what level but if anyone knows anything about him we'd love to hear from you!!! His name was Richard (more commonly known as Dick) Inkles

Can anyone remember a Bernard Wragg.I think he must have been a featherweight or some such weight. I have a photo of him wearing the Lonsdale belt.He was a relative of my wife. He was killed on the ship taking him out to the middle east during the second world war.