Sheffield boxers from the Thirties.

Can anyone remember a Bernard Wragg.I think he must have been a featherweight or some such weight. I have a photo of him wearing the Lonsdale belt.He was a relative of my wife. He was killed on the ship taking him out to the middle east during the second world war.

Are you sure he had the Lonsdale belt, cant remember Wragg winning that, he wasn't a British champion.

Mrs Mighty Bo's grandad was champion of North Yorkshire sometime around the 20's & 30's. Don't know what division (maybe featherweight) he fought in or at what level but if anyone knows anything about him we'd love to hear from you!!! His name was Richard (more commonly known as Dick) Inkles

Hi, Dick Inkles was another opponent of my grandfather's. I think, for the majority of his career, Inkles fought at flyweight. Have sent you a PM regarding this.

Cheers,

Alex.

Are you sure he had the Lonsdale belt, cant remember Wragg winning that, he wasn't a British champion.

I will look up the photo & try to put it on the forum.

I used to work for Fred Lee the landlord of the Wellington at Darnall, Dickie Inkles occasionally called in for a drink as he had boxed with Fred when they were kids. Dickie was an absolute gentleman, you would never believe he had been a fighter.

In reply to Texas, yes Lol Nutbrown certainly knew Mick Cowan, Mick though a professional would sometimes come and help out at the gym Lol had set up at Arborthorne school sparring with the lads and generally helping out. Tough guys but nice guys.

This is the photo.

Image0002.jpg

Johnny Cuthbert was my dad's cousin. Johnny's mum was Emily Cuthbert, nee Ward and she was the sister of George Saville Ward - my dad's dad.

He did really well in the 1930s, won a lot of prizes. After retirement he moved to Lincolnshire. He died in 1987.

I read your post with interest .Jim Hunter was my father and often spoke of his fight with Cuthbert.The local boxing promoter in Grimsby Len Slater arranged a meeting beween the two ex fighters at one of his fight nights.I had a picture of the 2 of them in the ring together that night but sadly its long gone.My father died in 1977 due to a heart attack and although I never saw him fight was always interested in listening to his tales of boxing in the old days and the time at the end of his career when he fought in a boxing booth at Cleethorpes Knocking out drunken sailors all day for a few bob.

After he retired Johnny Cuthbert ran a pub i believe in Cambridge Street called the Barleycorn he was a witness, or at least was mentioned in the Fowler brothers trial when Sam Garvin was seen in the pub at the time of the murder thereby providing an alibi. Rex Gray died in the late 50s early 60s Mrs gray kept the gym open for years afterwards. Mick Taylor used to train there. He went on to train amatuers in the Wicker boxing club. Great guy.

Mick cowen was a big friend of lol's son Roger who sadly died of cancer in his early twenties

Hi have you any photos of herol bomber graham in his fighting days please

I worked at the Mulberry with Herol Graham, Mick Lee gave him his first job when he moved to Sheffield from Nottingham, he was a lousy barman but a great laugh.

Hi have you any photos of herol bomber graham in his fighting days please

Mick cowen was a big friend of lol's son Roger who sadly died of cancer in his early twenties

Roger Nutbrown was my brother, and yes Mick Cowan was a great friend of his. Mick was a big comfort to my parents when Roger died. Lol of course my Dad. Sadly he died at the age of 89 in 2004.

Well thanks for that xenia. I was beginning to think Lol Nutbrown never existed. My interest in him was started many years ago by a photograph owned by a relative of mine. It was one of the early color tinted photos, I remember he was in the typical boxing attitude, wearing reddish trunks, and he had the patent leather haircut of the old days. It must've been taken in the late 20's I reckon.

And Mick. Now that's a coincidence. Would he have known Lol I wonder?

I wonder what happened to Arly Hollingsworth.

Lol Nutbrown was my Dad. I have the photo you speak of but it must have been a bit later than the 20's as my Dad was born in 1915. I know he started boxing quite young but on the photo I reckon he was in his twenties not teens. Yes Mick Cowan knew my family, indeed he has been known to be found frying bacon in my parents house before anyone was up - an overnight guest of my brother.