Sheffield boxers from the Thirties.

Are there any old (and I mean really old) boxing fans who remember the names Lol Nutbrown, Arly Hollingsworth and Jack Martin? I think they were middleweights, or perhaps feathers. Especially Arly Hollingsworth. They were all active in the late 20s and 30s.

My uncle was a local boxer in the 30s. Name was George Adams. Anyone know of him?

I did some secretarial work for Tiny Smith in the mid 1960', he was a bantamweight champion in the early 30's, he was quite old then he'd tried his hand at housebuilding. Very nice man he's lost his driving licence for life... don't know why, I never asked him.

Does anyone remember Rex L, Grey. He had a gym in Handsworth. My dad sent me there to learn how to look after myself. Had to travel by tram from Pitsmoor to Handsworth two nights a week. Happy days.

I'm not too much 'up' on local boxing names but I remember reading in the 'Star' many years ago that in the small area round St.Phillips Road, there lived about 4 world boxing champions in the '20's and '30's.

Maybe they had been born there and moved later.......perhaps someone can tell us more ?

Did anyone see 'Cinderella Man' ? great film with Russell Crowe about the 1930s boxer James Braddock, it's a MUST see.

a sort of p.s.Think I've remembered one name :- Johnny Cuthbert ring any bells ?

Johnny Cuthbert was my dad's cousin. Johnny's mum was Emily Cuthbert, nee Ward and she was the sister of George Saville Ward - my dad's dad.

He did really well in the 1930s, won a lot of prizes. After retirement he moved to Lincolnshire. He died in 1987.

"Tiger" Denton feather weight. Lived on Granville St Park district.

Hey Gerry, I remember Rex Greys but I dont remember it as a boxing gym. I went there once in the early 50s but it wasn't very inspiring. Do you remember a guy by the name of Whitehouse? His first name was Graham I think. And John Hartle. They were regulars there.

A much better place, to me at least, was Sheffield All-Rounders at the Attercliffe end of Broughton Lane. A dump of a place, but to speak of inspiration again, excellent.

Hey Gerry, I remember Rex Greys but I dont remember it as a boxing gym. I went there once in the early 50s but it wasn't very inspiring. Do you remember a guy by the name of Whitehouse? His first name was Graham I think. And John Hartle. They were regulars there.

A much better place, to me at least, was Sheffield All-Rounders at the Attercliffe end of Broughton Lane. A dump of a place, but to speak of inspiration again, excellent.

Hi Texas, I would have been 10 or 11 when I went to Grey's so it would have 1945/46 and I recall he had a full size boxing ring at that time. I don't remember anyone by the name of Whitehouse but I remember Johny Hartle, we were in the same class at Central Tech. Johny was extremely strong and got us out of a few scrapes at the Roxy ballroom on a Saturday night. I believe his father was a wrestling promoter or had some connection to wrestling at the ????? barracks.

Johnny Cuthbert was my dad's cousin. Johnny's mum was Emily Cuthbert, nee Ward and she was the sister of George Saville Ward - my dad's dad.

He did really well in the 1930s, won a lot of prizes. After retirement he moved to Lincolnshire. He died in 1987.

Johnny Cuthbert was British featherweight champion in 1927,28 and 1929 and 1931 and became British lightweight champion in 1932 - 1934.

He had 154 proffessional contests winning 110, loosing 34 and drawing 14.

His opponents on the championship contests were

Johnny Curley 24/01/27 won on points in round 20.

Harry Corbett 12/3/28 lost on points round 20.

Harry Corbett 18/3/29 drew 15 rounds.

Harry corbett 15/5/29 won on points round 15.

Dominic Volante 22/5/30 won on points round 15

Nel Tarleton 6/11/30 drew round 15

Al Foreman 15/12/30 drew round 15

Nel Tarleton 1/10/31 lost on points round 15

Jim Hunter 11/8/32 won Hunter counted out round 10

Harry Mizler 18/1/34 lost on points round 15.

The Lonsadle belt wasn't issued on the bouts with Jim hunter and Harry Mizler.

He had 144 non championship contests.

Paul