Help needed for car insurance for a first time young driver

thanks for all the replys guys will tel him to try these companies today thanks

Totally agree, i see it all the time however it's very unfair on young people that ARE sensible.

That is a point that I've often thought about. I think that probably one method to attempt to solve this would be, that all who pass the driving test go automatically onto a two year probationary period.

If they are responsible for a accident during this period, in addition to any proceedings, they would have their licence withdrawn and required to re-take another driving test before starting again from scratch.

Because this would automatically remind new drivers that they are driving something that can do immense damage or harm to people and property. This would act as a filter for those who wish to retain their licence and those who will have it taken away, initially temporarily.

Because the insurance under-writer would be provided with some level of protection by this. It would act as a consideration leading to a drop in the initial insurance premium payable, even if this takes the form of a rebate later.

Don't forget that insurance is far more than just a car. There can be huge differences in premiums based on your postcode and where the car is stored at night. I moved 12 miles away from Manchester into Cheshire and my premium halved from £240 to £120 fully comp.

If you have access to a garage, use it, and see your premium drop. Also increase the voluntary excess.

But whatever you do, don't lie. If you have a bump they'll do whatever they can to avoid paying out.

Elephant was cheapest for me. Ive renewed mine and £475. 21 years old and a brand new 06 reg. (pay it all in a lump sum) made it cheaper for me. And mine is fully comp. Made it cheaper having my dad as second driver.

£1800 pounds! That’s a lot of money.

Why bother with insurance?

Best thing to do is just make sure he can put aside some cash of at least £500-£1000. Make sure he carries at least £200 with him at all times.

As long as he is careful, the risk/rewards ratio is set so much in his favour by adopting this method. The likely reward is that he saves £1800, so lets examine the risks:

There is a 20% chance that he will have a small accident. This is where the £200 comes in. Just wave the cash at the victim to keep him/her happy, if necessary produce more cash. He is still likely to be much better off if this happens.

There is a 10% chance of being caught. Despite the threats, his car will not be crushed, but he will have to pay a fine and possibly a ban. The fine will be significantly less that the insurance premium, and he can ignore the ban. He is still likely to be much better off if this happens.

There is a 1% chance that he is involved in a serious accident. Somebody may be killed, or seriously injured requiring a lifetime of care. Not really his problem is it?

So when you examine the risks and rewards, it obvious that he should simply drive without insurance.

Please note: I really am not advocating driving with no insurance. In fact it is something I object to quite strongly. But given high price for young drivers, and the pathetic punishments dished out to those that follow the above strategy, it is no surprise that one in five cars are uninsured.

£1800 is a lot of money for car insurance - have you tried cars with smaller engines? the bigger the engine the more expensive its going to be, because they all think he is a boy racer. And if he isn't, then there is no harm in a smaller car lol. Mines a one litre and that was only £760 when i first passed, got one years no claims now and its only £430!

edit: By the way, im on Direct Line - give them a ring

£1800 is a lot of money for car insurance - have you tried cars with smaller engines? the bigger the engine the more expensive its going to be, because they all think he is a boy racer. And if he isn't, then there is no harm in a smaller car lol. Mines a one litre and that was only £760 when i first passed, got one years no claims now and its only £430!

This is the best advice to give every first time driver.

Driving in sheffield will be more difficult for the people without insurance etc with the ANPR camera's that are springing up all over the place.

I have been in an accident with an uninsured driver and I can tell you its a pain in the arse and it has cost me a fortune in the long run, I had to claim against my policy (car was written off), since the claim for an accident that I wasn't at fault for my insurance has been extremely high. its just come back below £1000. (3years after the claim)

If I was hit by an uninsured driver there is no way on this earth would I let them pay cash for repairs to my car. I would be straight on to the police. They deserve to get arrested for it.

my brother inlaw has passed his test today age 19yr and hes been phoning round all day for quotes for car insurance some of the vehicles he got quotes for was a

FIAT CHIQUCHENTO

FORD FIESTA

RENUALT CLIO

VAUXHALL CORSA

NISSAN MICRA

he didnt get one quote under 1800 pound does anyone know a good insurance company to try thanks

Direct Line have just given my daughter a quote for £800 for a 1.2 Punto so you may want to try them.

i got insurance 3 days after my 18th birthday and if i recall correctly it was 600 fully comp on a 1.6 pug 306 with direct line. sometimes fully comp is cheaper than 3rd party

£600 for an 18 year old is very cheap you wouldn’t happen to be on your parents insurance would you, and as for fully comp being cheaper than 3rd party, well.:huh:

Would it be better all round if a basic third party insurance premium was somehow absorbed into the price of fuel. Dependant upon the length of time the driver had been driving, then to automatically invoke a cut down version or a complete re-driving test.

If the third party is adequately covered what happened to the drivers car that would be a personal responsibility and possibly make for a more careful driver.

If you put a parent or someone that brings the price down on the policy and go for direct line he will still build up no claims