Easter Bank Holidays

My company moves Good Friday to Tuesday (i.e. we work the Friday and have Tuesday off)

I thought this was to do with the industry we used to work heavily with (steel) doing odd things to optimise factory shut downs.

However, my boss, a director with over 20 years service at the company just said she thinks it's something to do with a Sheffield Difference of Opinion on the days/dates around the resurrection.

Anyone know anything about that?

My mate works in the car industry and they have friday afternoons off so they move their bank holiday to the tuesday otherwise they would only be getting 1/2 a day free. Makes sense really.

However, my boss, a director with over 20 years service at the company just said she thinks it's something to do with a Sheffield Difference of Opinion on the days/dates around the resurrection.

Ask him which day was the crucifixion in the opinion of Sheffield folk?

i've worked with and for companies all over the uk and there are some who work Good Friday and have the Tuesday off, and others who just have the Bank Holidays off, and others who have both Good Friday and the Tuesday off, and some who work either or both days with "minimum staffing".

What people work seems very regional.

I'm sure there are many reasons why but probably none of them are to do with religeon.

Ask him which day was the crucifixion in the opinion of Sheffield folk?

26 December 1979:suspect:

Jim

The company I used to work for originally had Monday and Tuesday as Bank Hols and work Good Friday, but people began objecting to being charged Bank Holiday call-out rates on what they saw as a normal day, so eventaully they switched to Friday-Monday. At SHU, we have Good Friday, Monday and Tuesday off, and get every Tuesday off as well at the other main Bank Holidays, i.e., Spring and August :D

Most places I've worked in recent years tend to give you Bank Holiday Monday off and that's that.

Back in the late 1980s / early 1990s I did some work witha public sector organisation and had Friday, Monday AND Tuesday off. I was spoilt. :)

Yeap same here monday and tuesday off instead off friday i think we changed it because most of the lads like to work satarday so no point in having a day off then back to work then off for sunday and monday so we have a long 4 day weekend as we like to call it :)

I used to be able to choose.

Off Fri, work Sat, off Mon, Work Tue

-or-

Work Fri Work Sat, off Mon, off Tue

Off Mon/Tue was so popular it had to be rota'd every year

My company moves Good Friday to Tuesday (i.e. we work the Friday and have Tuesday off)

I thought this was to do with the industry we used to work heavily with (steel) doing odd things to optimise factory shut downs.

Anyone know anything about that?

Think it's more likely that it was unpopular with workers because on Good Friday the pubs used to keep Sunday opening hours - ie lunch 12 - 2 and evenings 7 - 10:30.

26 December 1979:suspect:

Jim

I thought that was August Bank holiday.

We have Friday, Monday and Tuesday off and we have the other Tuesday connected to Bank Holidays off as well.

Well except for May Day, when we just have Monday off.