Anyone interested in doing me a website?

http://freelanceswitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ff43_portfoliopiece.jpg

How about actually paying a fair price for a decent job? If a student came in and asked for a free basic appliance in return for having them as a customer, what would you say?

Sorry to sound harsh, but work like this devalues the whole business.

I've got to agree on this.

A voucher? Are you having a laugh?

Seriously, how many other professional services would you ask for, for free, so you can make more money for your business?

You wouldn't dream of asking your shop fitters to work for free, or any of your staff, so why is website development different?

http://freelanceswitch.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/ff43_portfoliopiece.jpg

How about actually paying a fair price for a decent job? If a student came in and asked for a free basic appliance in return for having them as a customer, what would you say?

Sorry to sound harsh, but work like this devalues the whole business.

This annoys me aswell and it only seems to happen with web design and computer fixing etc. They seem to think a 5 page bespoke site is something I can 'knock up' in about 5 minutes and they always want their site to be top in Google Searches the afternoon the site goes live.

As it happens, I need a bathroom plumbing in, are there any plumbers out there who are willing to travel to Cambridge and fit my bathroom? I can't afford to pay you but if you do it I'll knock you £10 off the price of a website. PM me if you're interested.

This annoys me aswell and it only seems to happen with web design and computer fixing etc. They seem to think a 5 page bespoke site is something I can 'knock up' in about 5 minutes and they always want their site to be top in Google Searches the afternoon the site goes live.

As it happens, I need a bathroom plumbing in, are there any plumbers out there who are willing to travel to Cambridge and fit my bathroom? I can't afford to pay you but if you do it I'll knock you £10 off the price of a website. PM me if you're interested.

pmsl - (is my site no1 in google yet?)

Not had any PMs from plumbers as yet.

Fix my heating and get a free, hand made business card.

Just the one, mind.

HTML is easy, it is not a programming language or some kind of quantum physics formula. Its a markup language, which means you basically mark whats a heading, whats a pragraph and whats a list... Its hardly more difficult than typing in a sentence you want the page to display in notepad.
And knowing how to put some words in correct grammatical order in a sentence means you can also write a great novel. Not.

There's an awful lot more to producing websites than knowing some HTML. Which is why there are so many awful sites around.

I just had my house gutted and had new electrics and plumbing done etc. I could have done most of it myself, but instead I employed people with experience who knew what they were doing. Probably worked out cheaper too.

This annoys me aswell and it only seems to happen with web design and computer fixing etc.
Add photography to the list too.

Naturally digital photography is free.......

........except for the £20,000+ of kit, most of which needs replacing/updating every couple of years. Not to mention the time and effort, someone still has to do the work and with digital, more is now done by the photographer, than before.

And knowing how to put some words in correct grammatical order in a sentence means you can also write a great novel. Not.

There's an awful lot more to producing websites than knowing some HTML. Which is why there are so many awful sites around.

I just had my house gutted and had new electrics and plumbing done etc. I could have done most of it myself, but instead I employed people with experience who knew what they were doing. Probably worked out cheaper too.

The operative word here being "employed" quite possibly if not certainly, at the going rate for the job.

Add photography to the list too.

Naturally digital photography is free.......

........except for the £20,000+ of kit, most of which needs replacing/updating every couple of years. Not to mention the time and effort, someone still has to do the work and with digital, more is now done by the photographer, than before.

Also add professional writing skills & I dont mean novels - which does mean keeping up to speed with what's going on - the time commitment and getting to events for face to face networking purposes - costs quite a bit of dosh especially when they're not in Sheffield.

i had a one page website done by TheBoysonFire.com and it cost £50

While we are moaning add family history research to the list! Everyone wants me to do look ups for them, on the sites I have to subscribe to at large yearly premiums.

Anyone could make a 1 page website in under an hour with all the open source wysiwyg editors, even if your a complete noob!