Thanking bus driver as you get off - any point?

I have also always thanked bus drivers, and last time I was on a coach trip we all tipped the driver, even though I paid through the nose for the trip.

I suppose it depends on how your bought up my mum would of clipped me round the ear if I didnt say please and thanks.

I have also found its amazing how infectious a smile can be, you dont need to say thanks if you can just smile at them it says it for you.

Is everyone so misserable that when someone does smile at them or be polite they go into shock?

I hail from Manchester and have to say thanking the bus driver seems common practice. I think it is more about how you are brought up than a geographical thing.

Having said that, on a trip to London I was appalled by the rudeness of some of the passengers on the Tube. I always allow people alighting to do so before I get on. Several times I stepped back to allow this to happen only for people behind me to just push their way on. Inside was no better. I gave up my seat to an elderly woman who was standing only for a strapping lad to jump in it. Upon protesting, he just looked at me as if I was from another planet.

He did give up his seat after some persuasion.

Originally posted by Briano

Just had an incredibly good idea! (By my standards...) :idea:

You may have noticed in some motorway services, they have smilies outside the loo's. You just press it depending on how you feel the state of the place is and I assume it totals the number of pushes... :):|:mad:

We should have them on all the buses!

yup, thats a good one. dole offices, workplaces, shops etc.

Could become quite ubiquitous if people use them

The only point I can see is that it's courteous. Much better than telling them to **** off, in my book.

I think it's only polite to thank the driver, and find that most people do in most of the cities I've visited - generally in Sheffield my thanks are acknowledged in some way ("thanks mate", "cheers", etc.) by Yorkshire Terrier drivers, and generally ignored by First drivers (but there's a separate discussion about which company is the best elsewhere on this forum...)

...although if it's one of those drivers who has spent the whole trip chatting to his mate who's been standing by him all the way, it's pretty justified to leave in silence I think.

This thread is pointless. It 's like saying "what's the point in saying good morning to work colleagues?" and "just why do we say 'Happy New Year' and 'Happy Birthday' to people?"

It's culture, it's tradition.

People go round saying these things because they were brought up to do so, and do so without even thinking about it.

There.

Sheffield is about the only place I have spent any time in where people generally thank the driver when getting off the bus.

I was brought up to be polite and display good manners, but in Edinburgh (where I was brought up) for some reason thanking the bus driver is something people just wouldn't think of doing - I don't know why. On visits back, I've occasionally found myself thanking the driver cos that's what I do here in Sheffield, and the other passengers have looked at me like I'm simple or something!

Maybe it's because the exit doors on Edinburgh buses are halfway down the bus, nowhere near the driver?

But it is bizarre how the two cities are so different in that way. Maybe it's with Edinburgh and London being capital cities, everyone seems much more impersonal? (Although I don't remember passengers thanking the drivers in Manchester?)

:confused: StarSparkle

i've found that out of where i've been recently, its done in:

- Sheffield

- Portsmouth

- Birmingham

- Skegness

and its not generally done in

- London

- Staffordshire (no particular city)

- Manchester

- Plymouth

- Hatfield

I think its just a local 'thing'

i think it's nice n pleasant, doesn't take any time to show a little politeness

Although very rare these days I have always thanked the bus driver when leaving the bus.

I always thank the bus-driver - even though some of them are complete *****, I dont know why.

Maybe its my upbringing- blame the parents!

Unless the driver is really nasty or incompetent, I pretty much always say thank you.

It just seems polite I guess. And I *am* glad they are there driving me around! So yeah, I thank them. Unless they've like shouted at the passengers and caused a major road accident... or something.