Anyone tried E-On's Power-down device?

you basicly plug it in. And then plug what ever you want into that.

Certain ones, can control nearly anything in the house, from Sockets, to lights.

Depending what you want.

Also depending on what your wanting depends on price.

You have a remote like your TV press on, it comes on, pres off it goes off.

brilliant for lamps and any sockets out of the way/hidden/obstructed.

And I bet it costs more than a £1 and it also doesn't do quite what the Eon does. Which is to stop the use of small amount of power, which is what you say the remote uses.

And why not use the switch on the light to turn the light off?

if the lamp is out of the waya nd awkard to get to you dont want to be climbing on furnature to switch it off maybe?

yes costs more than a quid, but does more than one item.

As for the E-on item, personally i wouldnt trust it.

Got one of these for FREE (can't remember what with) and it's fantastic.... on click with my mouse and off goes the computer, monitor and sound system.

Saves me having to bend down under the desk to shut them off on my anti surge strip

What is the device called?

It says nothing about 'sleep mode'.

Just that when you switch off your computer it will automatically switch off the peripherals that are also plugged into the device.

http://www.eonenergy.com/At-Home/Going-Green/Energy-Saving-Advice/Interactive-House/Resource-Centre/resource-centre-powerdown.htm

I was referring to the original post... stating

The lady at the stand said that when you're PC goes into sleep mode - the device stops the PC and any peripherals attached to it from consuming electricity - as if it were switched off.

Well turning off at wall is a cheap solution. But sometimes you may have other things plugged in to the bunch of extension boards all hidden away behind furniture that you don't want turning off - ansaphone for example. Or in offices for example, the main off switch is not always accessible. So this device means that everything gets turned off instead.

Just because something isn't useful for you doesn't mean it isn't handy for others.

Also bear in mind most people don't even turn their TV off, so something that shuts things down with no effort at all, is a very handy device.

I take your point but I believe that office would then fail the PAT test unless it was one at home.

You must be able to reach and switch off / unplug at the mains just in case of electrocution.

hey, I brought two of these from Eon at £15.65, although pricey, they are definitely worth the money. They are both for Desktop Computers, although I'm using one for my TV absolutely fine. I recently got an energy monitor and found out my sound system, printer, phone, monitors etc plugged into my pc were costing me £80 in standby energy alone! So I'm saving around £40 from this device :D They do make a bit of a clunk when they turn all the other devices off, some I'm hoping the surge protection is good!

A couple of my mates found them cheaper than the eon shop :mad:

from earthcareoptions and econutters

Hope that helps, James

hey, I brought two of these from Eon <...>
EON have sufferred quite a rate of returns for these lately, so just be careful and keep an eye on it :suspect:

I take your point but I believe that office would then fail the PAT test unless it was one at home.

You must be able to reach and switch off / unplug at the mains just in case of electrocution.

Just because the extensions are hard to get at, behind desk, TV whatever, does not mean the plug switch that they are plugged into is alo hard to reach.

I have one....which I plugged into the socket and plugged the anti-surge protector 6 way into that.....now every time I switch off the computer everything gets switched off....magic....the socket is in such an awkward place that I couldn't be bothered switching it off at all before.....it's all been on for about 2 years solid before that :D

I have had one of these for about 6 months (also got for a£1), but it's started playing up, and switching of my screen etc. Does anyone know what current they need to keep active. My computer is at the moment running at 320mA and it is now off.