Anyone tried E-On's Power-down device?

Sounds like a solution to a non existent problem to me.

Sounds like a solution to a non existent problem to me.

Well maybe useless to you, but they have been around for ages (this thread itself is from 2009). It is a gang extension which powers down any peripherals once the master socket is not being used.

An example is a computer in the master socket, while monitor printer etc are in the peripheral sockets, you don’t need those on when the computer is off.

Or have a TV in the master socket, with your blue ray, surround sound etc in the peripherals (most have an ‘always on’ socket for DVR recorders).

Well maybe useless to you, but they have been around for ages (this thread itself is from 2009). It is a gang extension which powers down any peripherals once the master socket is not being used.

An example is a computer in the master socket, while monitor printer etc are in the peripheral sockets, you don’t need those on when the computer is off.

Or have a TV in the master socket, with your blue ray, surround sound etc in the peripherals (most have an ‘always on’ socket for DVR recorders).

Abruptly switching off a modern device is not always a good idea - far better to turn thm off properly.

Mind you how much power do you think you are going to save. You hear all this about how much power is wasted all the time be these devices and how we can save the planet just by unplugging phone chargers....

I did some measurements at home. With everything plugged in and left on standby, I had a total load - that is for the TV, 2 laptops, a phone charger, tablet charger, PC, the microwave and my bedside clock - of 9W.

Abruptly switching off a modern device is not always a good idea - far better to turn thm off properly.

Mind you how much power do you think you are going to save. You hear all this about how much power is wasted all the time be these devices and how we can save the planet just by unplugging phone chargers....

I did some measurements at home. With everything plugged in and left on standby, I had a total load - that is for the TV, 2 laptops, a phone charger, tablet charger, PC, the microwave and my bedside clock - of 9W.

How do you manually shut down a monitor, or DVD player ? Surely 90% of the time these things are in standby anyway.

This thread had the e-on extension for £1 almost 5 years ago, are you saying you would not have made much of a saving over that time from £1 outlay?

How do you manually shut down a monitor, or DVD player ? Surely 90% of the time these things are in standby anyway.

This thread had the e-on extension for £1 almost 5 years ago, are you saying you would not have made much of a saving over that time from £1 outlay?

If you abruptly turned off my printer for example, without telling it to, then it would have cost you way way more than the power savings in new printer heads.

Similarly powering on most switchmode supplies tends to put them under stress, and that's when the power supply tends to expire. Limiting the number of starts is always a good thing, and for the minimal cost of a few pounds a year I can live with it. Compared to my lighting bill the running costs of this are minimial - compared to my heating bill, to which they make a contribution anyway, the costs are microscopically insignificant.

Wouldn't work for the TV being in the master though, as they never power off completely. The standby LED is always on.

If you abruptly turned off my printer for example, without telling it to, then it would have cost you way way more than the power savings in new printer heads.

Similarly powering on most switchmode supplies tends to put them under stress, and that's when the power supply tends to expire. Limiting the number of starts is always a good thing, and for the minimal cost of a few pounds a year I can live with it. Compared to my lighting bill the running costs of this are minimial - compared to my heating bill, to which they make a contribution anyway, the costs are microscopically insignificant.

The printer is a good example, not often that mine is turned on it the first place though. Never spared a thought that turning things on and off could shorten their life, it is only really once or twice a day for mine though.

They are definitely useful, I use one to turn off my sub-woofer when I switch off my receiver as I ALWAYS forget to turn it off.

Although I have to admit, it broke recently and I think the sound quality is superior without it.

Edited by AlexAtkin