What is currently the best broadband deal?

Don't go with Virgin, BT, or Carphone Warehouse if you value your privacy. All 3 are planning to sell your browsing data to an advertising company so they can target you with adverts while you surf. This has horrendous privacy implications.

I'm planning to move ISP because of this.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/02/29/phorm_roundup/

http://www.badphorm.co.uk

PlusNet works well for me. Orange Broadband, however, is utterly appalling.

Orange works for me, the only reason I want to leave is because of the stupid Indian call centres!

O2 Boradband have been voted no1 on Thinkbroadband.com recently? UK based call centres, and free 0800 support line!

I switched to Sky Max and Sky Talk from BT last month. My BB speed has increased from about 1.7MB to an average of around 10MB (must live a little closer to the Mosborough exchange than fox0114). I already had Sky TV and it made economical sense to pay Sky an extra tenner to get free weekend and evening calls and a faster unlimited broadband service. My monthly bill for phone, broadband and Sky TV is now about 45 percent less since I put them all in the same basket.

Luckily I haven't had to contact their reportedly poor support system yet......

Agree about IDN Net BUT you need to be aware their package at 17.95 has a download limit of 5GB so if you download AND listen to the radio all day you can expect to hit 11-12 GB download. This means that you can expect to pay for about 6 GB of additional downloading.

Also there's a thread on here about BT, Talk Talk & Virgin Media are selling off their customer details to a company called PHARM which reads the sites you visit for customised advertising. In itself it may or may not be a big deal depending on which side of the fence you're sitting on.

The issue which does concern me is that to do this, PHARM reads the webpage your browsing before you get to it and then it has to reload it a 2nd time for you to see it. What this means is that you are doubling your bandwidth for PHARM to access your data and provide you with customised advertising - ALL of this at your expense.

The title of this thread is starting to annoy me, can someone change it please?

It should read "What is the best broadband?"

That's with the the definitive article, no unnecessary capitalisation and a question mark at the end. Don't they teach you anything at Sheffield schools?

The title of this thread is starting to annoy me, can someone change it please?

It should read "What is the best broadband?"

That's with the the definitive article, no unnecessary capitalisation and a question mark at the end. Don't they teach you anything at Sheffield schools?

Agree about IDN Net BUT you need to be aware their package at 17.95 has a download limit of 5GB so if you download AND listen to the radio all day you can expect to hit 11-12 GB download. This means that you can expect to pay for about 6 GB of additional downloading.

I have been with NewNet for just over 2 years and they have been rock solid. Speeds are excellent and there is no no traffic shaping or port blocking just a clean Internet connection.

Customer support is UK based, general consensus is that support is excellent, however I have never needed to use them.

I pay £12:95 for 3GB and there are no download restrictions as it's PAYG service.

I pay £12:95 for 3GB and there are no download restrictions as it's PAYG service.

if there are no download restrictions, whats the 3GB??? or do you mean a 3mb connection??

Looks like a 3Gb monthly bandwidth allowance according to the NewNet site.