Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Shhhhhhhhhhh! you get done for singing that Jim."and so say all of us"

In this time frame four of us would one week go to Hillsborough the next Bramall Lane,my younger bro a mate from work and one from way back when teenagers!.My bro and I staunch Blades the other two misguided,we stood in the same spots without fail,John Street stand one week Spion Kop just behind the goal at Hillsborough the next!.We always had a couple of pints before the match first,we fell out like cats and dogs but enjoyed every moment of the football both teams were pretty decent Wednesday having the edge as they were the bigger richer set up!.We looked forward to the derbys we really used to fall out on those days,I wouldn,t eat my tea if we lost!.We saw some great football every week when both sides were in Division 1,I don,t know if its my imagination but the star players seemed bigger personalities in those days a lot tougher than the prima donnas of today rolling around crying like little girls every time they get tackled but that's just my perception!:D:hihi:

Edited by old tup
one H too many!.

Eat your tea OT and stop being MARDY.:hihi::hihi:

I went to that match and I was so disgusted that I have never been since.

it took me 25years and then as a visitor from abroad, , I have since been to 2 other games as a visitor, funny enough they won all 3 times.

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 10:26 ----------

I was at that game and I think it was Tommy Baldwin's shin. Wednesday took 18,000 supporters to that match.

Incidentally the final that year was surprisingly the first ever all-London final, Spurs v Chelsea.

I was at that Stamford Bridge match with 3 mates, what I remember most was Bonetti's out of this world save from McCalliog and Foinavon winning the Grand National at 100-1, we were listening to the race during the match.that was also the year I got married, talk about a rough year lol

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 10:46 ----------

How about Jim McCalliog and David Ford

They came later.

Did Ron Springett like oranges ???

He used to get hundreds of them thrown towards him from The Cop.

E]

I don,t know if he did but I remember being behind the goal on the Kop when Wednesday played I think it was Stoke,the goalie the great Gordon Banks ran to his goal to be met with a shower of bananas!.Cruelly the fans inferring that he resembled a primate,it just shows what a horrible lot Wednesdayites are,we are much more refined at Bramhall Lane!.:roll::roll::hihi:

yep, so refined you can't spell your grounds name correctly

You just beat me to that response... lol

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 15:18 ----------

no-one has mentioned the game between Wednesday and Man U I think it was a boxing day game,Iplayed most Saturdays so didn't see a lot of games but this was a clasic Wednesday evetually winning 5-4 it would have been 5-0 to Wednesday if a certainGeorge Best hadn't been playing.Every time he got the ball there was a gasp and then silence from the Wednesday crowd.despite his brilliance we still won what I remeber as a real clasic.

fantastic game, don't think it was a boxing day , definitely a Saturday 1969Down 4-2 at the half , Jack Whitham scored 4 one helped in by Stiles pity no TV cameras were there.

Edited by TORONTONY

You just beat me to that response... lol

---------- Post added 21-03-2015 at 15:18 ----------

fantastic game, don't think it was a boxing day , definitely a Saturday 1969Down 4-2 at the half , Jack Whitham scored 4 one helped in by Stiles pity no TV cameras were there.

It was August 1968, a very hot day. the Boxing Day...well that's another matter.

Read the latest book by Don Megson it is an interesting read especially about the arrangements and what nearly happened with the Wednesday team for cup final day. Interesting read.

Sorry old chap nobody is perfect as a Wednesdayite you should know this!.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 11:38 ----------

As a young kid my old man only ever took me one time to a football match and that was at Hillsborough!.It was to see the great Stanley Mathews who I think at that time played for Blackpool,it is only a vague memory I,m afraid as I was that young he sat me on his shoulders so I could see properly!.I do remember how excited the crowd became every time he had possession of the ball,he was the superstar of his day a fantastic dribbler and ball player!.:thumbsup:

Sorry old chap nobody is perfect as a Wednesdayite you should know this!.:thumbsup::rolleyes:

---------- Post added 22-03-2015 at 11:38 ----------

As a young kid my old man only ever took me one time to a football match and that was at Hillsborough!.It was to see the great Stanley Mathews who I think at that time played for Blackpool,it is only a vague memory I,m afraid as I was that young he sat me on his shoulders so I could see properly!.I do remember how excited the crowd became every time he had possession of the ball,he was the superstar of his day a fantastic dribbler and ball player!.:thumbsup:

Yes I do mate, but I have to try and keep improving you all, you may get there eventually.:)

It was August 1968, a very hot day. the Boxing Day...well that's another matter.

Yes it was a scorcher,well I got the right season but I got the year wrong.I was standing in the corner between Leppings Lane and the old stand,I always was curious why Megson's long screamer into the Kop end goal just before half time was disallowed, from where I was it looked good, did you have a better vantage point? That was a p*** off as it would have cut the deficit at the time. Still it all went well in the end, one of the best games I ever attended..cheers

Saturday 31st August 1968 to be precise. 51,931 watched it and the Owls scorers were Jack Whitham (3), John Ritchie and an own goal.

Great link to what appears to be a very comprehensive Wednesday archive (goes from 1880-1995).