Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

I was there too and remember the North Stand was still under construction to be opened the following year, so only three sides of the ground being used. As you mentioned the Hammers had some pretty tidy players then and I think a young Bobby Moore played that day-he'd be about 19- and others in the squad would be Peter Braybrook, Ronnie Boyce and Eddie Bovington -maybe not all in the team that occasion. That day West Ham came to Sheff 6 as top of the old First Division until Wednesday whacked 'em off it and I don't think they've been in that position since.

According to THIS the team was Dwyer, Bond, Cantwell, Brown, Malcolm, Musgrove, Obeney, Grice, Woosnam, Smith, Dick.

Can you remember the foreign teams that came to hillsborough when we played in the Fairs Cup. Lyonnaise Olympic, Roma. Barcelona, Werder Bremen, Cologne, they were good times.

Can you remember the foreign teams that came to hillsborough when we played in the Fairs Cup. Lyonnaise Olympic, Roma. Barcelona, Werder Bremen, Cologne, they were good times.

I remember the first three that you mention. In the first match Wednesday were already two down from the first leg and went a further goal down in the home leg but ended up winning 7-6 on aggregate.

They stuck four past Roma and beat Barcelona in the home leg but lost the tie.

I remember the first three that you mention. In the first match Wednesday were already two down from the first leg and went a further goal down in the home leg but ended up winning 7-6 on aggregate.

They stuck four past Roma and beat Barcelona in the home leg but lost the tie.

Jim , Do remember the Barca No.6 the original Luiz Saurez, made the latest one look like a choirboy, a real dirty B.

Jim , Do remember the Barca No.6 the original Luiz Saurez, made the latest one look like a choirboy, a real dirty B.

To be honest Alan I don't remember him. I knew of him though and just looking at his Wiki page it seems he was quite a player.

I don't know about 'real dirty' but Senor Suarez could put himself about a bit when it mattered and played in the Spanish national team with the likes of Di Stefano and Gento. I saw most of the better European players in the '60s (well being a Wednesdayite had it's privileges) and he was one them, almost total footballer and then he moved to Inter Milan, never saw them tho'. While I'm on about great '60s wing- halves who had a similar disposition, please fill in the blank; Anthony Herbert ....

I don't know about 'real dirty' but Senor Suarez could put himself about a bit when it mattered and played in the Spanish national team with the likes of Di Stefano and Gento. I saw most of the better European players in the '60s (well being a Wednesdayite had it's privileges) and he was one them, almost total footballer and then he moved to Inter Milan, never saw them tho'. While I'm on about great '60s wing- halves who had a similar disposition, please fill in the blank; Anthony Herbert ....

........Kay.

........Kay.

As Charlie Williams might have said ; 'Top oyl, owd ****!'

As Charlie Williams might have said ; 'Top oyl, owd ****!'

That bird can't be named on SF. :hihi:

That bird can't be named on SF. :hihi:

Seems not, perhaps now we'll have to refer to people/places as; 'recent dear departed blues singer from Taskers Road', 'former large department store on Angel Street' and man who scored two goals in 1966 F.A.Cup Final'

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 02:45 ----------

I remember that game against Chelsea when we beat them 6-1 at Hillsborough, but the only goal I can remember was the one scored for Chelsea. It was a screamer from Bobby Tambling and it flew into the top corner of the net and stuck in the stanchion. Springett had to jump up to knock it free.

I've referred to that goal in another post and forgot about Ronnie having to jump up and remove it from the stanchion (No more stanchions, Bobby Tamblings or beating the likes of Chelsea 6-1) and that game was 48 years ago next week 31-12-66- and I can see them now- CFC-, red shirts, blue shorts and red socks and I always thought that if it hadn't been for the netting at the Kop end goal, the ball would have ended up the other side of Penistone Rd near the Gold Room!

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 02:55 ----------

Originally,as well as the 3 found guilty,Ron Springett was named,and the people were looking to run with 4 owls players,but they couldnt make the claim against Ron stick.

All 3 were on course to be cautioned by the FA,and the peoples story looked dead in the water,but the reporter,gabbit,found Bronco to be the weakest link and hounded him,eventually getting him to a sheffield solicitors late one night to make a stupid satement,he did this without legal representation,which was VERY underhand both on the reporters behalf,even more so by the solicitor,who later apologised as he recognised his error,non the less,once Layne signed it he condemned them all,and it became a civil matter.

The people had saved the biggest story for last,the 4 owls players theyd been after werent the biggest names,and they intended to publish his name,along with a further 9 players,after the trial of the 3 owls at mansfield.

But the judge at the trial prevented them from publishing the other names,disgusted by the peoples methods,in hounding Layne and obtaining a forced confession,the story was quashed.

The star name was never revealed,and remains a mystery even today,what is known is that he went on to be sucsessfull in football after he retired from playing.the names of the other 9 players were never revealed either.

Over the years,there have been many calls to have the case re heard,some VERY recent,but the cost,publicity and appetite for justice have wained in the players,apart from Kay.I for one have ALWAYS supported this,and would back it financially. Pete swan was urged to appeal after the trail,but,sadly,declined,he accepted the verdict and they all got on with life outside football,Layne was thought to be on the verge of international honours,he was an outstanding foreward.

I thought under English law that you could only appeal against the sentence and not the verdict. So the professional outcome would have been the same for the players, maybe I'm wrong?

Seems not, perhaps now we'll have to refer to people/places as; 'recent dear departed blues singer from Taskers Road', 'former large department store on Angel Street' and man who scored two goals in 1966 F.A.Cup Final'

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 02:45 ----------

I've referred to that goal in another post and forgot about Ronnie having to jump up and remove it from the stanchion (No more stanchions, Bobby Tamblings or beating the likes of Chelsea 6-1) and that game was 48 years ago next week 31-12-66- and I can see them now- CFC-, red shirts, blue shorts and red socks and I always thought that if it hadn't been for the netting at the Kop end goal, the ball would have ended up the other side of Penistone Rd near the Gold Room!

---------- Post added 27-12-2014 at 02:55 ----------

I thought under English law that you could only appeal against the sentence and not the verdict. So the professional outcome would have been the same for the players, maybe I'm wrong?

I am currently reading The Alex Ferguson biography written by Patrick Barclay.

Page 36 refers to bent matches in the 60's .

The chapter stated that such matches where not unusual at the time and that even seasoned Internationals where involved.

It finishes of by stating that when Gauld [the ring leader who sold the story to the Sunday people] and the Sheffield Wednesday trio got caught then there for the grace of God,went plenty of contemporaries.

Alex Ferguson was in the middle of this common practice while a player in Scotland but would have strangled any one who approached him so the story goes.

I am currently reading The Alex Ferguson biography written by Patrick Barclay.

Page 36 refers to bent matches in the 60's .

The chapter stated that such matches where not unusual at the time and that even seasoned Internationals where involved.

It finishes of by stating that when Gauld [the ring leader who sold the story to the Sunday people] and the Sheffield Wednesday trio got caught then there for the grace of God,went plenty of contemporaries.

Alex Ferguson was in the middle of this common practice while a player in Scotland but would have strangled any one who approached him so the story goes.

Interesting reply Cuttsie and obviously footballing chicanery didn't start for him at the 'Theatre of Dreams' then. (I've read some of Barclay's stuff before and he seems to be o.k.) A couple of weeks ago I was looking, out of sheer curiosity, into Vic Buckingham's profile on Wiki, and according to that he was, at the time the news broke out, unofficially relieved of his duties at Hillsbrp' and went back to Ajax. I never heard that before and the Owls were hardly struggling under him, I don't think they finished lower than sixth all the time he was there. Imagine that now? Incidentally, does that book have a time-added on- device for if you don't finish it promptly? Up the Owls anyway!