Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Some great memories provided during those yo-yo years,promoted 4 times,relegated 3,the average crowd from 1950-53 never dipped below 40,000!

Is that when Columbus sailed the ocean blue?

Think that was 1492.

Some great memories provided during those yo-yo years,promoted 4 times,relegated 3,the average crowd from 1950-53 never dipped below 40,000!

Are you uncle Albert?

"During the war"

I'm dyslexic.

I bon't delieve you.

My first game was the centinary game against Fulham on 6th September 1967, a few days after my 10th birthday. My Dad unfortunatly had to work saturdays, like so many other people in those days it was part of his nornal working week and rarely got to games but he made sure I went to this one.

I saw every game in the old third division (75/76 to 79/80) apart from the first game at Hereford and almost the next 3 seasons but missed the game at Wolves (April 1st 83)when i broke my ankle on the way to the bus and finished up at hospital.

Been some great times and some pretty dire ones but wouldnt have missed them for anything.

My first game was the centinary game against Fulham on 6th September 1967, a few days after my 10th birthday. My Dad unfortunatly had to work saturdays, like so many other people in those days it was part of his nornal working week and rarely got to games but he made sure I went to this one.

I saw every game in the old third division (75/76 to 79/80) apart from the first game at Hereford and almost the next 3 seasons but missed the game at Wolves (April 1st 83)when i broke my ankle on the way to the bus and finished up at hospital.

Been some great times and some pretty dire ones but wouldnt have missed them for anything.

The Wolves game was the 1st of March not April.

Which season was the first game at Hereford?

The game before the centenary game was at the Lane against United and Wednesday won 1-0 with a goal from John Ritchie who I remember also diving in the box trying to get a penalty when no one was near him.

Manchester city won the league that season with Manchester united finishing second the same as they did last season.

Edited by fussy

Yes you are right fussy it was March, just an old blokes memory playing up lol. The game at Hereford was in August 1975, think we beat Darlington 2-0 away then lost 2-0 at home in league cup then lost replay at home about same time. Saw nearly all prevoius seasons games too but as a first year apprentice my finances were very limited

Talking of league cup replays Im sure we played Bounemouth in a second replay in pouring rain around 73 with about 3000 at Hillsborough then got hammered 8-2 at QPR the round after.

Yes you are right fussy it was March, just an old blokes memory playing up lol. The game at Hereford was in August 1975, think we beat Darlington 2-0 away then lost 2-0 at home in league cup then lost replay at home about same time. Saw nearly all prevoius seasons games too but as a first year apprentice my finances were very limited

Talking of league cup replays Im sure we played Bounemouth in a second replay in pouring rain around 73 with about 3000 at Hillsborough then got hammered 8-2 at QPR the round after.

Bournemouth game was on october the 29th 1973 won 2-1 after extra time crowd was 8,894 Prendergast and Proudam scored.

Hereford 1975 was the third league game of the season wednesday lost 3-1 Henson scored for wednesday.

Darlington was also a second replay score 0-0 wednesday lost 5-3 on penalties.

Edited by fussy

My first match was easter monday 1958 against Burnley we lost 2-1 can,t remember the scorer, but i do remember my first derby game a cuptie at the lane in 1960 we won 2-0, ( before losing to Blackburn in the semi final at Maine rd. robbed) and Derek Wilkinson scored both the goals, eight of the team were what we would class as local. How times change.

My first match was easter monday 1958 against Burnley we lost 2-1 can,t remember the scorer, but i do remember my first derby game a cuptie at the lane in 1960 we won 2-0, ( before losing to Blackburn in the semi final at Maine rd. robbed) and Derek Wilkinson scored both the goals, eight of the team were what we would class as local. How times change.

Roy Shiner scored for wednesday in the Burnley game.

Thanks for that Fuzzy, do you remember our chant, We yell we yell and when we yell we yell like hell and this is what we yell.