Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

As I recall, season '66 - ;67 after the '66 world cup, the song was - aye aye aye aye Springet is better than Yashim, Dave Ford is better than Eusebio and Mobley is better than Rattin.

Re Wednesday v Chelsea in the cup that season if Tambling had connected properly Springet would have saved it, as it was he miss hit it and it bounced off his shin and bobbled into the net. Chelsea had covered the pitch and dried it out to make it rock hard thinking that this would be better for the play makers at Stamford bridge, after Wednesday had beaten them on a quagmire at Villa Park in the semi the previous year.

This was the start of the era of the big centre forwards, Wednesday had just bought John Ritchie and Tony Hateley was playing for Chelsea.

Ron Davies was playing for Southampton and Wyn Davies for Newcastle, Astle for West Brom -"I think!!!!!!)

United had their own version (substitute Hodgy, Mick Jones and Mallender) and to be honest that is the version I remember best.

.....I also recall the John Ritchie headed goal at the Lane when we won 1-0. That was when the ground was still a cricket pitch for half the year with no stand on one side.....

Didn't he get up well for it! I seem to recall it was at the Bramall Lane end and I watched it from the Shoreham St end. No segregation and you could change ends at half time by walking behind the pavillion (or did you walk in front of it?).

Didn't he get up well for it! I seem to recall it was at the Bramall Lane end and I watched it from the Shoreham St end. No segregation and you could change ends at half time by walking behind the pavillion (or did you walk in front of it?).

Correct! I was at the same end. Apart from some idiot who threw a bottle, there was good friendly rivalry behind the goal.

As I recall, season '66 - ;67 after the '66 world cup, the song was - aye aye aye aye Springet is better than Yashim, Dave Ford is better than Eusebio and Mobley is better than Rattin.

Re Wednesday v Chelsea in the cup that season if Tambling had connected properly Springet would have saved it, as it was he miss hit it and it bounced off his shin and bobbled into the net. Chelsea had covered the pitch and dried it out to make it rock hard thinking that this would be better for the play makers at Stamford bridge, after Wednesday had beaten them on a quagmire at Villa Park in the semi the previous year.

This was the start of the era of the big centre forwards, Wednesday had just bought John Ritchie and Tony Hateley was playing for Chelsea.

Ron Davies was playing for Southampton and Wyn Davies for Newcastle, Astle for West Brom -"I think!!!!!!)

Hi Jonesey, I eventually found the details of the match on the web and Jim is correct it was Baldwin who scored in the 90th minute. My memory was way out, Osgood wasn't even in the team!

I was at that Villa game,think the winger in question was Billy Mcewan,who I think went on to be involved with Rotherham,might be wrong though.

I was at that Villa game,think the winger in question was Billy Mcewan,who I think went on to be involved with Rotherham,might be wrong though.

I think you are right. I knew it was McSomething.

I think you are right. I knew it was McSomething.

It was actually Jimmy MacEwan. The Rotherham Billy McEwan was much later and he also managed Sheffield United.

I think the yo - yo team is BACK again . I sarted watching wednesday in 1942.

Cheers

Cheers

Is that when Columbus sailed the ocean blue?

Cheers

Seems like it !