Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Chairboy, That West Ham match when they came to Hillsborough top of the Division Wednesday won 7-3 not 7-0. I was stationed at Barnsley Rd. TA centre and another lad on the permanent staff was a W.H. supporter and we went together.

It was 7-0, I was behind the goal.

Thanks 'truman' for the Wiki link and 'staninoodle' for the added info, it helped a lot, I was able to piece a lot of this together. - I'm sure Sheff Wed would have been the last club that anybody would have thought of when thinking 'graft and corruption' being perpetrated against them or anything of this nature, didn't the clubs history go back to the beginning of organised football in Britain? They attained the status of having one of the best 'grounds' in the country when a lot of clubs were still playing on very inferior facilities, hence the shed-load of international, representative and cup games that were played at Owlerton over the years. - Not to be outdone by progress but I think they were one of the first clubs after the war to expand further with a brand new cantilever stand and all the subsequent changes to make the ground more modern and appealing. - I would say Sheff Wed were dealt a lousy hand by what took place at that time and only compounded by the disaster to befall them again in later years.
Fleetwood are you a Wednesdayite or just interested in Wednesday'

It was 7-0 and 5-0 at halftime and the West Ham goalie was Lawrie Leslie the scottish international I sold cushions in the north stand but never missed a goal :D

It was 7-0 and 5-0 at halftime and the West Ham goalie was Lawrie Leslie the scottish international I sold cushions in the north stand but never missed a goal :D

At risk of becoming the thread bore I'll have to correct you there phantom. The West Ham keeper was Noel Dwyer (Frank Worthington's father-in-law). Here's the proof.

At risk of becoming the thread bore I'll have to correct you there phantom. The West Ham keeper was Noel Dwyer (Frank Worthington's father-in-law). Here's the proof.

Jim sorry I am getting mixed up as that was before the stand was built when you could watch the first half at the Leppings lane end then go round to the kop under the old stand to watch the second half. I did get the international goalie bit right just wrong bloke wrong decade and wrong country. :confused::D

Jim sorry I am getting mixed up as that was before the stand was built when you could watch the first half at the Leppings lane end then go round to the kop under the old stand to watch the second half. I did get the international goalie bit right just wrong bloke wrong decade and wrong country. :confused::D

Well it was more than fifty years ago!

There were some good players in the West Ham side too. John Bond, Noel Cantwell, Phil Woosnam and Malcolm Musgrove among them.

Thanks 'truman' for the Wiki link and 'staninoodle' for the added info, it helped a lot, I was able to piece a lot of this together. - I'm sure Sheff Wed would have been the last club that anybody would have thought of when thinking 'graft and corruption' being perpetrated against them or anything of this nature, didn't the clubs history go back to the beginning of organised football in Britain? They attained the status of having one of the best 'grounds' in the country when a lot of clubs were still playing on very inferior facilities, hence the shed-load of international, representative and cup games that were played at Owlerton over the years. - Not to be outdone by progress but I think they were one of the first clubs after the war to expand further with a brand new cantilever stand and all the subsequent changes to make the ground more modern and appealing. - I would say Sheff Wed were dealt a lousy hand by what took place at that time and only compounded by the disaster to befall them again in later years.

No worries.This subject divides older owls fans even today.

But what most people tend to forget,is the Layne statement,and the circumstances that statement was given under,its the turning point of the whole affair and that without it,it remains a football matter,not a legal one.

Plus the peoples reporters credibility,originally he claims springett threw the game at ipswich,by letting in 4 goals,unable to establish a link to the bookmaker,he re writes his story,to omit springett,and alters his original claim.

Fleetwood are you a Wednesdayite or just interested in Wednesday'

Well both I think Tom, I lived next to the ground for a while but I have to admit I don't keep up with things like I used too.

Thank you Jim, that match is one I remember but I always thought the score was 7-3 so I stand corrected.

Thank you Jim, that match is one I remember but I always thought the score was 7-3 so I stand corrected.

It was the same season that Real Madrid beat Eintract Frankfurt 7-3 in the European Cup final in front of 135,000 at Hampden Park.

Wednesday beat West Ham in the 1959-60 season at home 7-0.

Goals from Johny Fantham 2, Alan Finney 2, Bobby Craig, Keith Ellis and Derek Wilkinson

I remember my first match in 1965 against Fulham. Springett in goal, Megson, Ellis, Fantham and others. It finished 1-1. My first derby against the Blades was such a crush because of the big crowd that I must have seen 5 minutes of the match. Wednesday scored first but United got an equalizer in the 85th minute. The crowd on the kop surged forward and I had a perfect view of the Leppings Lane erupting. Shucks. I remember the purchase of Tommy Craig for £100,000. I think his name was Wilf Smith, he was a left back and went to Coventry for £100,000 ... why? Jack Witham went to Liverpool and scored 4 goals in 4 matches under Shankly and was dropped and went into oblivion. I thought he was excellent. Only my opinion. Happy days ... I think. I remember the throwing of cushions from the cantilever stand when we lost and lost badly. favourite match ... v Newcastle in the 2nd division under Wilkinson. They brought 1000's and the crowd was 52,000. Cunningham dislocated his shoulder and still scored. Keegan was made to look a dummy. I hope those days come back

Kevin