Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Tell tou what i

Saturday 31st August 1968 to be precise. 51,931 watched it and the Owls scorers were Jack Whitham (3), John Ritchie and an own goal.

Great link to what appears to be a very comprehensive Wednesday archive (goes from 1880-1995).

I also thought it was an own goal by Stiles, but the Green Un said it was 4 for Whitham and so did a Sunday paper, maybe it was officially changed later, which was probably the right thing to do.Tell you what I had honestly forgotten who scored the other goal, thanks for the memory shaker i.e. John Ritchie

Edited by TORONTONY

Tell tou what i

I also thought it was an own goal by Stiles, but the Green Un said it was 4 for Whitham and so did a Sunday paper, maybe it was officially changed later, which was probably the right thing to do.Tell you what I had honestly forgotten who scored the other goal, thanks for the memory shaker i.e. John Ritchie

Who scored for Man.Utd. that day?

Tell tou what i

Who scored for Man.Utd. that day?

The big stars all scored Best, Charlton and Law, one of them got a pair but much as I try I can't remember which.

John Ritchie One of the best forwards to head a ball for the owls, the power he got heading was awesome, especially on the move to connect from corners and free kicks,a massive guy on and off the pitch.:D

John Ritchie One of the best forwards to head a ball for the owls, the power he got heading was awesome, especially on the move to connect from corners and free kicks,a massive guy on and off the pitch.:D

All you say is true, but he was pretty clumsy with his feet,a bit like Keith Ellis a few years earlier. Mind you big John was pretty much the norm at the time, the big strong centre forward with a good head was back in vogue,others then were Tony Hateley, Jeff Astle, Wyn Davies etc , we had gone back to proper centre forwards and proper wingers after a few years of defensive,attack from the back football, of course we went away from it again later, as .we all know

Hi Tony, could we not send Big Dave a few videos of the Centre forwards you named, and how to head a ball.

Thats right Dowd was in goal.

It was an awfull night,in what was a terrible season,that started with that 1-4 defeat at city,and danny williams on tv slating the side publicly,and the cup defeat to scunthorpe at a packed hillsbro:mad:

interesting that Wednesday lost the opening game at Maine Road and the Hillsbro' fixture was the last one of the season, perhaps because of a postponement, makes one wonder what might have happened had it been played on the original date. Well City would probably have hammered them and the Owls were absolute crap that season!

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 23:54 ----------

yep, so refined you can't spell your grounds name correctly

Bramhall Lane is a tennis club in Stockport ! Not that I'm implying anything.

Edited by stpetre
spellling