Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

Sorry to hear that.I really enjoyed enjoyed football in those days when most of the first division sides had Stars`you wanted to watch and quite a few clubs thought they could win the league.Wednesday finishing runners up to Spurs!!!!

Edited by S A C
spelling error

It was Vin (Vincent) Kenny.....my old next door neighbour when I lived at Loxley.

It was Vin (Vincent) Kenny.....my old next door neighbour when I lived at Loxley.

Correct, I did a thread on him a while back and Al partridge searched his career out for me.

I knew it was vinnie but didn't see the point in correcting it.

Cheers anyway.

ALEX.

PS, Vinnie was a great man.

Was a regular at Hillsboro from 1951.Last game watched was in late 60's when the Owls beat Man Utd 5-4.

Some idiot threw snooker balls from back of kop onto pitch at halftime.

Remember thinking if one of those hits you, no more matches anyway,so stopped going.

I was at hillsborough when cushions were thrown from the north stand when Layne was sent off, I think we were playing Villa and lost.

Managed to get several off the list now, but still looking for any help with these, or indeed any represenative/schools games played at Hillsborough or Bramhall Lane.

Hillsborough Wants

46-47 Sheffield V Eindhoven Inter City

48-49 Sheffield V Eindhoven Inter City

49-50 Sheffield FC V Wimbledon Amateur Cup R2

50-51 Hallam V Stocksbridge CC Final

50-51 Sheff Wed A V Farsley Celtic Yorks Lge Cup Final

51-52 Lancs League V Northern Int. Lge Inter League

51-52 Denaby United V Stocksbridge CC Final

52-53 Worksop V Beighton Miners Welfare CC Final

52-53 Hallam V Dulwich Hamlet Amateur Cup R2

53-54 Leicester V Preston FA6 R2

54-55 Doncaster V Aston Villa FA4 R3

58-59 Bishop Auckland V Pegasus Amateur Cup R2 R2

59-60 Hallam V Crook Town Amateur Cup R2

62-63 FA Colts V S.Yorks Amateur Lge Representative

63-64 Scunthorpe V Stoke LC2 R2

64-65 England V Wales Schoolboy Int

Any help/assistance really appreciated

Jim

Did anyone think the same as me that had Vic Mobley played in the 66 FA cup final instead of Donkey Sam Ellis the result would have been different. Mainly because Gerry Young wouldn't have had to cover for him.

Did anyone think the same as me that had Vic Mobley played in the 66 FA cup final instead of Donkey Sam Ellis the result would have been different. Mainly because Gerry Young wouldn't have had to cover for him.

100% agree.Pleased someone else feels the same.He was one of those players who jumped to head the the ball and retracted the head like a tortoise instead of stretching to the ball.His postional sense was woeful.

100% agree.Pleased someone else feels the same.He was one of those players who jumped to head the the ball and retracted the head like a tortoise instead of stretching to the ball.His postional sense was woeful.

I know all these years Gerry got the blame for the final goal. When the mistake was to play Sam ellis. I know Mobley was injured but surley there was an alternative.

I know all these years Gerry got the blame for the final goal. When the mistake was to play Sam ellis. I know Mobley was injured but surley there was an alternative.

The alternative was to move Wilf Smith into the centre where he had played before and bring the reliable Brian Hill in at full-back.In the league games Sam Ellis played before the final it was obvious he was going to be a weakness.

Yes I think that was the answer Brian hill was reliable

OK. but i wasn't suggesting they all played at the same time on the team. they're just some of the greats I remember. Plus of course the great Ron Springett. I do remember going to Old Trafford to see Wednesday play Man U in an FA Cup replay. Wednesday won 7-2 and in that match Bobby Craig was an absolute wizard. Aren't these great memories? Wonder what kind of memories the present team will leave behind.

I went to that evening game at Old Trafford. A bunch of us went over after work in an old van.

On the way back out of Manchester we stopped at a chip shop and the first one in line ordered a 7-UP. The refused to serve us.

I went to that evening game at Old Trafford. A bunch of us went over after work in an old van.

On the way back out of Manchester we stopped at a chip shop and the first one in line ordered a 7-UP. The refused to serve us.

That's funny, usuk. :hihi:

Just went bk to my original post in which I was pondering the legacy that the present squad would leave. I know the answer now - Div 1. :mad: