Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

I remember going straight from school and catching the train to see that game. Man U had a young lad in goal as their regular goalkeeper was injured. But we dominated the game anyway. I think we led 3-0 at h. time. I remember being surrounded by Man U supporters and one older guy (I was young back then) said to me, "Three nowt! That dunt mean owt at this level football. Wait 'til second arf." Oh, what a great game that was.

Ronnie Briggs played in goal that night, I think it was Dave Gaskell who was injured? Quite an amazing scoreline and vastly different to the post-Munich match of 1958.

I remember attending the home games versus West Ham and the Blades on consecutive saturdays. I had just started supporting the blades at the time and remember United racing into a two goal lead. The performance by Bobby Moore still rates as one of the best I've ever seen.

I remember attending the home games versus West Ham and the Blades on consecutive saturdays. I had just started supporting the blades at the time and remember United racing into a two goal lead. The performance by Bobby Moore still rates as one of the best I've ever seen.

17th and 24th Sept. 1966? Wednesday got a 2-2 draw in that "derby" game - goals by McCalliog and Munks own goal.

I remember Moore having an outstanding game in the 1964 semi-final at Hillsborough against Manchester United on a mud-bath of a pitch. Hammers won 3-1.

still got ron springett testimonal programme with a personally signed photo(b+w) just wondered if its worth out now out of interest.

Ah !..Munks was it, a bit like Mallender and Flynn from that era in the sense that they are rarely remembered. Oops sorry just remembered that this is an Owls thread.

I remember that the 2-2 draw was played in good weather. I sat in the open seats at the side of the pitch, rival fans all sat together.

Wouldn't happen now !

I never saw Dooley play but think I saw Redfern Froggett once or twice .

was redfern froggatt any good?

The 5-4 win against Man Utd in 1968 has got to be the best game of football I've ever seen - and these days Megson wouldn't have had his "goal" disallowed as Fantham was hardly interfering with play.

If Jack Whitham hadn't been so injury prone he could have been the Ian Rush of the late 60's early '70's.

was redfern froggatt any good?

I think I saw him play the one game about 1958. Was this the period of Froggatt ?

Keith Elliss seems the one in my mind also around this period.

The 5-4 win against Man Utd in 1968 has got to be the best game of football I've ever seen - and these days Megson wouldn't have had his "goal" disallowed as Fantham was hardly interfering with play.

If Jack Whitham hadn't been so injury prone he could have been the Ian Rush of the late 60's early '70's.

What was the crowd figure 55 000 or 65 000 on that night?

I seem to think it was a mid week game.

I remember suffering watching the 1966 Cup Final. I worked in Barclays Bank, Hillsborough 1960-62. In the lunch hour I'd often walk up Langsett Rd to a park opposite which was a cafe run by Bronco Lane. We'd sometimes call in for a coffee and there, hunched over the juke box would be Bronco, Peter Swan and Tony Kaye no doubt discussing tactics for the coming Saturday match.

I remember seeing Derek Dooley play at Hillsborough around 1952. R.I.P.

I remember that cup final too, but my memories lose me at times. Did we get beat by Everton or was it Preston North End? I can remember used to ride the tram up to Woodseats just like anybody else. That's when they didn't get paid like superstars, and he was one. I also remember the scandal involving Bronco Lane over selling a game with Ipswich Town, and that he craashed his car after drinking which killed his wife.

I remember suffering watching the 1966 Cup Final. I worked in Barclays Bank, Hillsborough 1960-62. In the lunch hour I'd often walk up Langsett Rd to a park opposite which was a cafe run by Bronco Lane. We'd sometimes call in for a coffee and there, hunched over the juke box would be Bronco, Peter Swan and Tony Kaye no doubt discussing tactics for the coming Saturday match.

I remember seeing Derek Dooley play at Hillsborough around 1952. R.I.P.

I remember that cup final too, but my memories lose me at times. Did we get beat by Everton or was it Preston North End? I can remember Derek Dooley used to ride the tram up to Woodseats just like anybody else. That's when they didn't get paid like superstars, and he was one. I also remember the scandal involving Bronco Lane over selling a game with Ipswich Town, and that he craashed his car after drinking which killed his wife.

What was the crowd figure 55 000 or 65 000 on that night?

I seem to think it was a mid week game.

Sheffield Wednesday 5 Manchester United 4 Saturday 31 August '68. Att: 51,931.

1966 Cup Final defeat v Everton

You don't get Redfern Froggatts any more; 20 years with one club. What a wonderful servant he was, making 434 league appearances for Wednesday in which he scored 140 goals. He got four full caps for England and played in many other representative matches.

Also in a different skill class from the people currently performing at S6 and could also play in varying positions.