Sheffield Wednesday FC in the 60s

I see no Finney? Strangely, I was at HS Eyecare at 11am!

Try again, its between Craig & Ford, what are you like? ;)

Finney used to cross balls and we are at cross-purposes! I am addressing the original poster Clifflad in his team managed by Catterick. There is no Finney - he played every game so I think needs to be there. Alan Finney, from Langwith, played on either wing and would often switch wings if things weren't working out.

The poster including Finney offers a list of names from the 60's, rather than a team, the likes of which we no longer see at S6!

Finney used to cross balls and we are at cross-purposes! I am addressing the original poster Clifflad in his team managed by Catterick. There is no Finney - he played every game so I think needs to be there. Alan Finney, from Langwith, played on either wing and would often switch wings if things weren't working out.

The poster including Finney offers a list of names from the 60's, rather than a team, the likes of which we no longer see at S6!

How do you mean? Kenny Lunt, Deon Burton, Leon Clarke OK you win. :hihi:

How do you mean? Kenny Lunt, Deon Burton, Leon Clarke OK you win. :hihi:

I think this list could very well be extended to three-figures?

Many people recall the 'Waddell' game against WHU, much later, but in the 60's, remember the Colin Dobson performance against Wolves 5-0 (23/11/63) ?

Latterly, season 1969-1970 and the Owls were finally relegated after Manchester City did their absolute utmost to keep Wednesday in the top-flight. Non-triers if ever I saw one but nobody had told substitute, Ian Bowyer, the script - hence a 2-1 defeat and down!

If you were a rep from Crystal Palace you would have been disgusted with City's showing. Reason - Hillsborough easy trip, 40,000 home and away, vis-a-vis next to nobody at Palace.

So, what started as a brilliant decade - the best period I've seen at S6 - degenerated into relegation and the dark days before Big Jack righted the ship.

Your mixing up the early 60's side with the mid 60's side mate, no Craig, McCalliog, Ford or Mobley in the early 60's.

OK. but i wasn't suggesting they all played at the same time on the team. they're just some of the greats I remember. Plus of course the great Ron Springett. I do remember going to Old Trafford to see Wednesday play Man U in an FA Cup replay. Wednesday won 7-2 and in that match Bobby Craig was an absolute wizard. Aren't these great memories? Wonder what kind of memories the present team will leave behind.

Watched Wed from 63/64,been on kop with 65k(I think thats how many)Bronco Laynes goal record for Wednesday was something else though I just caught his latter games.

Remember beating Burnley 7-0 and Mcalliog missing a penalty,after that it was downhill for many a year,good times off the pitch but bad on it.

Did Ron Springett like oranges ???

He used to get hundreds of them thrown towards him from The Cop.

Nice to see some replies to my question about SWFC.

Did anyone go the the mid week friendly at Hillsborough when they played Moscow Dynamo.

Also can anyone remember the crowd figure for the midweek match against Man Utd. Was it 55 000 or 65 000 ? Second part of the question , can anyone name them ? :-)

Nice to see some replies to my question about SWFC.

Did anyone go the the mid week friendly at Hillsborough when they played Moscow Dynamo.

Also can anyone remember the crowd figure for the midweek match against Man Utd. Was it 55 000 or 65 000 ? Second part of the question , can anyone name them ? :-)

If it's the FA Cup replay game at Old Trafford which Wednesday won 7-2 then the game was played on Wed 1st Feb 1961 in front of a crowd of 65,243. Scorers: Keith Ellis 3, John Fantham 2, Alan Finney 2. The first game at Hillsborough finished 1-1 with 58,000 watching it.

Did you miss my earlier post with the archive link?

If it's the FA Cup replay game at Old Trafford which Wednesday won 7-2 then the game was played on Wed 1st Feb 1961 in front of a crowd of 65,243. Scorers: Keith Ellis 3, John Fantham 2, Alan Finney 2. The first game at Hillsborough finished 1-1 with 58,000 watching it.

Did you miss my earlier post with the archive link?

I remember going straight from school and catching the train to see that game. Man U had a young lad in goal as their regular goalkeeper was injured. But we dominated the game anyway. I think we led 3-0 at h. time. I remember being surrounded by Man U supporters and one older guy (I was young back then) said to me, "Three nowt! That dunt mean owt at this level football. Wait 'til second arf." Oh, what a great game that was.

I started to be taken to hillsborough the season after the cup final in 1966 when i was about 6 years old. My first memory of the ground was emerging up the south stand steps and seeing the massive stand opposite with all the flags of the world and the lush green pitch and the colours on the kop. It was truly magical and ive never forgotten it...love at first sight! Was a regular throughout the rest of the sixties, taking our seats at 1.30 for every game! Remember a brilliant 6-1 win against Chelsea, McCalliog scoring a couple, he was my favourite player. The only one i remember missing in that period was the classic 5-4 against Man Utd, my mother refusing to let me go because of the potential 'trouble' with supporters...no telly in those days at every match so a real treasure was never captured for posterity. Just want to pay my tribute to Derek Dooley, a true gentleman and a great ambassador for Sheffield. Remembered with great affection at Hillsborough and a sad loss for the city. A great man.