Derek Dooley has died!

Such sad news

R.I.P. Derek Dooley

A true Sheffield legend

My thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time

I would like to pay tribute on this site to all Sheffielders, football fans or not, this chap will be sadly missed in all parts of this great footballing city. As a Wednesdayite from the early 80's, I never had the privelage of seeing him break the net, time after time in those great but brief years he had for us, my Grandad told me many a story of him and I do not belive there has a been a similar player like him (maybe Hirsty). It was a harsh end to his Hillsborough days the way he got sacked by SWFC on Christmas Eve 1973. He went onto great success with the commercial side at the Lane and then his great chairmanship. I have had the honour of meeting him in the last few years through work and he had so much warmth and was geniunely interested in who I was.

You will be missed Derek and next month's derby has to be the DOOLEY DERBY.

-OWLS FOREVER X

Well said. RIP a true legend and Sheffield's finest.

Some great coverage on the fella on Radio Sheffield right now :)

The idea of naming the next derby game The Dooley derby is good but he also deserves a lasting tribute.

I believe the Parkway should be renamed Derek Dooley Way. It is the main road into the heart of the city. No man has done more to promote this city than derek and this would be a fitting memorial.

Threads merged.

Please use the search facility before starting a new thread.

I have just finished reading his book this weekend past, its a great read and what impressed me most was the way he conducted himself. At all times this guy was a gentleman and had a fierce sense of what was right and wrong.

As a Burnley fan from outside of this great city but now living here it is with genuine sadness to hear of his passing, I only wish I could have met him.

RIP Derek

In each era there are one or two people that are truly respected by all for their honorable ways and manner and Derek Dooley was such a person. I've had the honour of meeting him twice at the Lane and what a truly warm and charming personality the man had.

Someone posted earlier that he was a giant, he was a true sportsman and a gentleman. Someone like him is encountered very rarely these days and he will be very sadly missed by people in this City and elsewhere.

How sad that he should be snatched away too soon,. Sincere and heartfelt condolences to his family and friends.

The idea of naming the next derby game The Dooley derby is good but he also deserves a lasting tribute.

I believe the Parkway should be renamed Derek Dooley Way. It is the main road into the heart of the city. No man has done more to promote this city than derek and this would be a fitting memorial.

Nice one Bronco - anyone else fancy backing an effort to have the Parkway renamed after him??

I could write several things relating to Derek's involvement in football but one thing that has always struck me about himself and wife Sylvia, is what a wonderful advert and example of married life they shared.

sounds a bit daft mebbe, but why don't we just start calling ALL derby games "dooleys"??

ar tha gunna t' dooley next week?

i like it!

sounds a bit daft mebbe, but why don't we just start calling ALL derby games "dooleys"??

ar tha gunna t' dooley next week?

i like it!

The winner of the Sheffield derby should get the DOOLEY CUP presented to them ;)

such sad news, this is really a bad day for sheffield football, big man with a big heart,