Pierrepoint shop that time forgot.

16 hours ago, minetiger said:

I have been doing my family history and came across the this link while trying to research the greengrocers on Attercliffe common. My mum had told me from being a little girl  that we links with the hangman Albert Pierpoint as her mums (my grandmother) auntie was married to some relation of the hangman. the only other information that she had was that the family also owned the greengrocers on Attercliffe common. It took me a long while to find the marriage as it was a second marriage to George Peirpoint at Kimberworth and my great auntie was down as Helen when her name was Elenor but known to the family as Aunt Ellen. George is on the 1939 register as a retired greengrocer which will tie in. but to date I have not found the link to the hangman or the green grocers on Attercliffe but I had been told from other sources that the greengrocer on Attercliffe was also named Albert. I will continue to research this but if anyone can remember the christian name of any of the green grocers That would be a great help.

From the 1957 Kelly's directory of Sheffield & Rotherham.

Attercliff Road,  753 & 859, Pierrpoint Wm, greengrs

3 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

There is a slieght confusion about this .. Does kellys say pierrepoint or pierrepont the shop sign states the latter so if anyone can connect the two names please let us all know .. 

You`re right with Pierrepont gaz786, both the 1925 & 1957 Kelley`s give the name Pierrepont.

3 hours ago, gaz 786 said:

There is a slieght confusion about this .. Does kellys say pierrepoint or pierrepont the shop sign states the latter so if anyone can connect the two names please let us all know .. 

Having had a few minutes to check the genealogy,  I'm reasonably certain they are related, the fact that the name is slightly different is irrelevant, names changed over the years almost accidentally...most people were illiterate and would just say their name to the curate or vicar and he would spell it as he thought fit.

I have traced 'our' Pierrepont back to William Pierrepont born 1817 and a small area in Nottinghamshire, on checking Albert Pierrepoint descendant's trees...they are throwing up the same area, but dont have William in the tree...I think it is almost proven that they were related, but that the actual shared Grandparent is back in the 18th century, possibly not within a 100 years of either Albert or William's birth.

42 minutes ago, sadbrewer said:

Having had a few minutes to check the genealogy,  I'm reasonably certain they are related, the fact that the name is slightly different is irrelevant, names changed over the years almost accidentally...most people were illiterate and would just say their name to the curate or vicar and he would spell it as he thought fit.

I have traced 'our' Pierrepont back to William Pierrepont born 1817 and a small area in Nottinghamshire, on checking Albert Pierrepoint descendant's trees...they are throwing up the same area, but dont have William in the tree...I think it is almost proven that they were related, but that the actual shared Grandparent is back in the 18th century, possibly not within a 100 years of either Albert or William's birth.

Looking on the 1891 census Williams parent`s are Joseph & Martha Pierrepont, both born in Barnsley, Joseph born in 1845.

The 1911 census gives us William Pierrepont b1881 living with wife Amelia and 2 children in Darnall, trading as a fish merchant and fruiterer.

9 hours ago, LLAN said:

Looking on the 1891 census Williams parent`s are Joseph & Martha Pierrepont, both born in Barnsley, Joseph born in 1845.

The 1911 census gives us William Pierrepont b1881 living with wife Amelia and 2 children in Darnall, trading as a fish merchant and fruiterer.

The Joseph you have picked out is the son of the William b 1817, having looked at the trees of descendants on both sides they all originate in villages around the Sutton on Trent area, the genealogy gets a little thin before 1800, as I said before I think they are related but it dates back to the 18th C....only the DNA could prove it for certain.