Pierrepoint shop that time forgot.

The Sheffield directory for 1925 lists "William Pierrepoint, greengrocer, 753 Attercliffe Road". His home was at 53 Main Road, Darnall. There is no mention of this address in the 1973 directory.

1911 Whites Directory has William Pierrepont living at 53 Main Road Darnal not spelt the same way as the hangman

The same applies to the 1925 directory - I checked yesterday and the spelling is actually Pierrepont. I tried (using on-line census returns and other useful websites) to establish a connection between the Attercliffe Pierrepont and the Pierrepoint executioner family but failed. I would be surprised if there is a connection (as one would think it would have become well-known locally) but you never know. As family history enthusiasts well know, the same name could be spelt differently in different sources, 100 or so years ago.

Can you point me in the right direction for Sheffield directory 1925 lists in fact any local directories that might help me with family tree... thanks lots

The Local Studies Library on Surrey Street has a great many Sheffield directories going back to the year dot. Otherwise, several firms have scanned the books and offer them in CD-ROM format. I obtained my "Kelly's 1925 Directory - Rotherham & Sheffield" for about £10 from this firm:

http://www.youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/sitemap.php?

I would think they must have come from France at some time with that surname.Huegenots perhaps?

The Local Studies Library on Surrey Street has a great many Sheffield directories going back to the year dot. Otherwise, several firms have scanned the books and offer them in CD-ROM format. I obtained my "Kelly's 1925 Directory - Rotherham & Sheffield" for about £10 from this firm:

http://www.youroldbooksandmaps.co.uk/sitemap.php?

Thanks for that I have just bought it, it will be very useful. I don't think the Pierrepoints who were executioners are the same family as Pierreponts of Sheffield. 192.com lists several people with both names. Interesting though because I really do know that I have heard somewhere that Sheffield has a connection with the "hangmen" and indeed I was under the impression that the old shop in Attercliffe was that family business I hadn't noticed the missing i having not looked at it properly!!:loopy:

I would think they must have come from France at some time with that surname.Huegenots perhaps?

The name is clearly French in origin, though the family apparently came over to England at the time of the Norman Conquest - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holme_Pierrepont

This is about a small Nottinghamshire village called Holme Pierrepont and so it relates to the Pierrepont spelling, but census returns etc. confirm that there were many people in Nottinghamshire whose names used both spellings; the same applies to Lancashire. 100 years or so ago there were few Pierrepoints or Pierreponts in Yorkshire.

I know this is an old thread so I hope people don't mind me resurrecting it just to say I think my mother worked there in the early 1960s.

the shop was called Pierrepont the hangman was called Pierrepoint with an I

Where does it show you the family?

Another pic attercliffe
Obviously not from Sheffield! Just looked at one of his other pix. He's called a passage a ginnel. From Leeds, maybe?

Obviously not from Sheffield! Just looked at one of his other pix. He's called a passage a ginnel. From Leeds, maybe?

Sorry you've lost me lol

Ah you mean this Back Alley . Not sure what they call em in Leeds but know they say ginnel on Corrie.