Pierrepoint shop that time forgot.

Ah you mean this Back Alley . Not sure what they call em in Leeds but know they say ginnel on Corrie.

I'd call that an entry.

I'd call that an entry.
Where are you from, though? Most born and bred South Sheffielders would have called it a 'passage'. A gennel/jennell is an open way between walls, a passage is a covered way between houses.

Coronation St is supposed to be in Lancashire, doseydoodah? They speak a different language from us :)

I'd call that an entry.

That's what we would have called it where I was brought up.

Where are you from, though? Most born and bred South Sheffielders would have called it a 'passage'. A gennel/jennell is an open way between walls, a passage is a covered way between houses.

Coronation St is supposed to be in Lancashire, doseydoodah? They speak a different language from us :)

I'm from the old Pitsmoor that was flattened in the seventies.

Aye It is. Mind you my family and me are born n bred yorkshire and we say jennel.

I'm from the old Pitsmoor that was flattened in the seventies.
tuther side a town, different language? :)

Aye It is. Mind you my family and me are born n bred yorkshire and we say jennel.
Jennel is what I'd say, although some open paths through were called 'snickets' but they weren't gennels. Like the one between Broadfield Road and the back of the Abbeydale Cinema, that was a snicket, not a gennel. :huh:

I wonder what people call them now?

Well i'm a bona fide sheffielder and i say gennel/jennel.

Well i'm a bona fide sheffielder and i say gennel/jennel.
We're not arguing about gennel being the word (with a soft 'g') in Sheffield or ginnel (with a hard g) in other places like Manchester.

I'm saying that the picture of Abbeydale Road, which the photographer says is a ginnel, is actually a 'passage', whereas jimhardie and Kelvinlad say it's an 'entry'. Maybe the difference between North and South Sheffield?

What say you? :)

tuther side a town, different language? :)

Jennel is what I'd say, although some open paths through were called 'snickets' but they weren't gennels. Like the one between Broadfield Road and the back of the Abbeydale Cinema, that was a snicket, not a gennel. :huh:

I wonder what people call them now?

im from maltby and we called the little archway inbetween houses *the passage*

a little path through grass was * the snicket* ( although some folks called it *the cinder path*

and another path that had fencing or walls either side, similer to wybourns 8foots was called * the jennel*

We're not arguing about gennel being the word (with a soft 'g') in Sheffield or ginnel (with a hard g) in other places like Manchester.

I'm saying that the picture of Abbeydale Road, which the photographer says is a ginnel, is actually a 'passage', whereas jimhardie and Kelvinlad say it's an 'entry'. Maybe the difference between North and South Sheffield?

I grew up in hillsboro and always new them as passages ,

or back passages when describing things to the doctor .:suspect:

ginnel or jennel....you still come out the other end with dog crap all over the bottom of yer shoe!

You may be right Rubydazzler,but then again i have called them passages,entries,alleyways etc.