Pierrepoint shop that time forgot.

Very interesting allways wondered about this shop whenever ive passed it.

I can say it was still open late 64/65. used to be a very busy shop in it's day....I lived on Newhall Road and then we had the choice of Pierrepont to the right at the top or Whittakers to the left. Looks very sad now, doesn't it?

Pierrepoint's was a very busy little shop. I was a very good friend of a friend of there's and would meet up with them on the odd occasion. Well known in the Darnall area and I think they belonged to the Community Centre at Darnall.

There has been a shop stood empty on Attercliffe road for as long as Ican remember.I have always noticed it because of the name Pierrepoint.

I think it used to sell fruit and veg through a market style front and must have been closed at least 50 years.

It is just as if the shutters were pulled down and totally left as it was all those years ago.

Iwould love to know more about it.It is on the left side leaving town somewhere below the old Banners on the opposite side of the road.

There was a fruit and veg shop named Pierpoints next to Attercliffe church. It was about a couple of minutes walk from Banner's on the opposite side . Opposite Worksop Road.

I was born down attercliffe (1970) i cannot remember the greengrocers as we moved when i was 4, however, i did take care of Thomas Williams wife during her final year who passed away about 1990/1991, they also sold fruit and veg on the side of the roads (from the old wooden carts)

My mother and grandmother always called it Pierrepoints but, you are right, as is seen on the photo....it is Pierrepont as in my own post. I think it was a local dialect thing.

The hangman was definitely called Pierrepoint... by the way, the film is on DVD and it's very good and in parts very sad. I bought if from Ebay for £5

I was lead to believe that an assistant hangman lived on Bole Hill Lane Crookes, I don't know his name, their identity was top secret at the time they were "working" does anybody know when their names became public? I got this from Wikipedia

Albert Pierrepoint (30 March 1905 – 10 July 1992) is the most famous member of a Yorkshire family who provided three of Britain's Chief Executioners in the first half of the 20th century. He lived at Clayton, Bradford, Lincoln, Oldham and the Merseyside seaside resort of Southport.

I don't think the Pierrepoint family in question came from Sheffield.

the shop was called Pierrepont the hangman was called Pierrepoint with an I

Although the name is spelt slightly different they are one and the same

The Sheffield directory for 1925 lists "William Pierrepoint, greengrocer, 753 Attercliffe Road". His home was at 53 Main Road, Darnall. There is no mention of this address in the 1973 directory.

Can you point me in the right direction for Sheffield directory 1925 lists in fact any local directories that might help me with family tree... thanks lots

Although the name is spelt slightly different they are one and the same

What makes you so certain of this fact?