Pierrepoint shop that time forgot.

There has been a shop stood empty on Attercliffe road for as long as Ican remember.I have always noticed it because of the name Pierrepoint.

I think it used to sell fruit and veg through a market style front and must have been closed at least 50 years.

It is just as if the shutters were pulled down and totally left as it was all those years ago.

Iwould love to know more about it.It is on the left side leaving town somewhere below the old Banners on the opposite side of the road.

was he part of the family who owned the shop?

Also dont you think it fascinating that the painted sign above the shop is still clear enough to see after all these years.

Hiya

I believe that Thomas William Pierrepoint who the shop belonged to, was the brother of Henry Albert Pierrepoint and uncle to young Albert Pierrepoint, all who were hangmen.

Theres a book you can buy - http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/662100/Executioner-Pierrepoint/Product.html

And also a dvd - http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/1063795/Pierrepoint/Product.html

There has been a shop stood empty on Attercliffe road for as long as Ican remember.I have always noticed it because of the name Pierrepoint.

I think it used to sell fruit and veg through a market style front and must have been closed at least 50 years.

It is just as if the shutters were pulled down and totally left as it was all those years ago.

Iwould love to know more about it.It is on the left side leaving town somewhere below the old Banners on the opposite side of the road.

How weird is that? I've also wondered about the shop, what with the infamous name, it always made me think about the hangman. Should have known really - it's not a terribly common name is it?

I Worked in Attercliffe from 1966 to 1980. The shop was closed when I started work in the area in 1966 and it appeared as though it had been closed for many years then.

The Sheffield directory for 1925 lists "William Pierrepont, greengrocer, 753 Attercliffe Road". His home was at 53 Main Road, Darnall. There is no mention of this address in the 1973 directory.

Often wondered whats behind those shutters, prob a few rotten spuds! Can imagine the orginal counters etc are still there.

Often wondered whats behind those shutters, prob a few rotten spuds! Can imagine the orginal counters etc are still there.

I found this link on the Flickr website >

If this link doesn't work, go to the Flickr website and enter 'greengrocers sheffield' and have a look at the top two images, they are both taken from the inside of the shop.

p.s. Check the sell by date if you're thinking of buying anything from there.

it was open when I was a lad and I am 48 now it sold fruit and veg and there were a few serving so it must have been quite popular.

Hi All

I delivered bread to Pierrepoints in the early 60's. Not much else to say about it - sorry!

David D

I found this link on the Flickr website >

If this link doesn't work, go to the Flickr website and enter 'greengrocers sheffield' and have a look at the top two images, they are both taken from the inside of the shop.

p.s. Check the sell by date if you're thinking of buying anything from there.

Brilliant photo /shattered the illusion though/expected to see rotten fruit and veg and a couple of fossilised assistants.

incidentally who actually owns the property now I wonder.