Driving age to go up to 18

That already exists for everyone.

What does?

What does?

It being illegal to drive under the influence of drugs.

Quite a few comments of 'that's stupid' or along those lines regarding passengers.

Anyone care to expand on why?

It being illegal to drive under the influence of drugs.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought you was referring to alcohol.

Thanks for the clarification, I thought you was referring to alcohol.
Was you, Cyclone?

I agree with zero tolerance alcohol limit and would go one step further to include drugs too.

Drugs. Already illegal, under the influence, to drive.

Drugs. Already illegal, under the influence, to drive.

Thank you. Not that I take drugs. :)

So, why's it stupid to ban passengers?

Applications for a provisional driving license can be made from the age of 15 years and 9 months. Valid for driving a moped or light quad bike from aged 16, and a car from aged 17, or 16 for those who get, or have applied for, the higher/enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP or DLA.

I cannot understand why a disabled person should have a lower age to drive a car than a abled-bodied person.

Applications for a provisional driving license can be made from the age of 15 years and 9 months. Valid for driving a moped or light quad bike from aged 16, and a car from aged 17, or 16 for those who get, or have applied for, the higher/enhanced rate of the mobility component of PIP or DLA.

I cannot understand why a disabled person should have a lower age to drive a car than a abled-bodied person.

presumably it's felt that the extra mobility would be a good thing and it also allows a bit of extra time for the medical assessment which is necessary in these cases.

presumably it's felt that the extra mobility would be a good thing and it also allows a bit of extra time for the medical assessment which is necessary in these cases.

Its discrimination, I am sure extra mobility would be good for other youngsters too.

"It should go up to 30 for men and 18 for women".

Based on what ?

---------- Post added 30-07-2016 at 12:16 ----------

I do recall reading some articles on the training of certain psychomotor skills.It appears that the psychomotor skill required to drive a gear shifted motorcar;are so basic that a chimpanzee can be taught to operate the controls.

If this is the case,what makes driving so hazardous ?

NB. Teenagers taking control in activities demanding levels of skill greater than that required to drive a car.

http://www.flyingmag.com/training/learn-fly/flight-school-age-limits-flying

The following link gives some insights as to how the teaching of driving may be improved.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=Nmz-7fbNpmkC&pg=PA33&lpg=PA33&dq=psychomotor+skills+required+to+drive+a+car&source=bl&ots=PbC1irjhga&sig=wLo9mLY7FssM

Edited by petemcewan