Advice about living on a canal boat

You can can get some good deals on boats of any kind, if your going for the lower end of the maket just take someone that has been around boats a while to help you out and give you some advice.

http://www.freeads.co.uk/uk/property/houseboats__canal_boats/11407653/narrowboat-home-needs-plumbing/view#.Tk6hJGHgnlV

This one is a good starter, but I think if someone keeps searching they will fine some cheaper.

ALAN

there are quite a few famous people who live on narrow boats, one advantage you can move around different scenary every day, but to moor a boat can be expensive, to stay in sheffield all the time woud be boring best to move up and down sheff canal,link up with the leeds liverpool canal. some of the own sides are waterand electric suppies unless you have your own gen. i think you would still have to pay council tax in some form or other depends if your going to live in one place. the boat would also a water worthy certificate and many more please think twice about living on one, if you needed a mortgage i dont think you would get one, and a boat takes loads of maintainance, but good luck i wish i had the nerve to branch out and go ,, but i dont have the 40 to60 thousand to buy one with

There are also some people on this forum who resurrect ancient threads and use them as a feeble excuse to help them to advertise a business venture.

Now that the ancient mariner (I hesitate to call him 'a guy who is trying to flog you a narrowboat') has resurrected this thread, perhaps we should use it to refresh ourselves on nautical terminology?

Let's take turns on reminding each other about vital phrases and sayings.

Your phrase for today:

"Avast behind!"

Enunciated loudly, to warn the crew of a surreptitious approach from the rear. Don't use it when your wife is within earshot - it may possibly be misinterpreted.

You could, however, use it when somebody is trying to sneak up on you and flog you something you don't really want.

I've been looking over at goole and surrounding areas for boats to buy and there are some cheap mooring as well but they don't have pontoons or jetties to moor up to but making a pontoon should not be a major problem - ALAN

Hi

I'm thinking about selling my house and living on a narrow boat, but I want to stay in Sheffield.

Has anyone any advice about buying and living on a narow boat, and moorings available etc.

Thanks,

Fiona

Any chance of sharing a boat to learn the ins and outs before you commit to buying one?

Thats a good point Anne, I've got a friend and her sister has a share in a boat on a boat in stoke on trent and they regullarly get unexpected bills. Buying a boat could be share with family or friends to keep the costs down.

You can also recycle waste oil for the fuel that would take down the fuel cost to a lower level. I must state please research the the waste oil recycling before you attempt this as its not a simple case of getting it filtered threw sock lol.

ALAN

My parents own a houseboat in the Netherlands (and I got very close to buying and living on one as well). People that are genuine about living on a houseboat need to consider a whole raft of factors:

If it is a sailing houseboat (ie. one that moves under its own 'steam') be prepared to have the engine and associated parts checked every year.

In ideal conditions you need to put a coat of anti-fouling on the bottom of the ship at least every three years better every two - you probably need to get the ship out for a good clean every year. Think about the cost and practicalities: Can you afford to not live on the boat for that period of time?

A boat is in the water, obvious, not so obvious is that the water cools the whole ship down - heating can be very expensive, particularly during a cold spell. It is great to just heat using a wood-burner (an AGA for example) - but again, think of the practicalities, that fire needs feeding regularly and firewood isn't cheap. If it is a sailing boat you can't attach to mains-gas, although you could use gas-bottles - using gas-bottles for heating is expensive. Using oil-burners requires an infrastructure and refuelling, again, this can be expensive (although is probably the cheapest and most hassle-free option).

Most permanent moorings come with running water, is the boat you are considering suitable to receive this? Can you live with (likely) low water-pressure?

Inside a steel-hull your 3G/4G signal is going to suck. There are ways to fix this, but it isn't cheap.

Insurance can be very expensive.

Moorings are very expensive, particularly the nice ones!

In short: living on a houseboat sounds like it is a lot cheaper than living on the land, in actual fact it has higher running costs - you need to make sure you can cover those costs or it can all end in tears rather quickly.