Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

has the Harlequin closed? Ex Manchester between Wicker & Kellham Island.
don't think so

WELL SAID:clap::clap: I am not sure if promoting a revolution is allowed on the forum, but the sooner someone tries to save the rest of the UK pub stock from vanishing like snowballs on a Greek beach, THE BETTER!! 4 pubs close every day at the moment, its massively accelerated from this time last year and too many will never ever open their doors again....

It defies all logic however, that in the small town I come from, Whitstable on the Kent Coast, all 17 pubs in this town have remained OPEN throughout the wave of closures of the last 3 years, against all the National trends. It seems some areas have escaped any casualties whatsoever, even though 17 pubs all within walking distance of each other and allstaying open is really against all conceivable odds!!!!! Even more against the odds is that all of them are run down, not been decorated since 1975 at least, 2 of which still have vinyl jukeboxes, and are proper 'old skool' pubs, with dartboard, etc from a bygone age....the only pub to close in last 10 years is one that was converted from a a classic old boozer into a trendy wine bar that may have looked OK on West Street in Sheffield, but it lasted 3 months there....thank God they learned their lesson and left the other classic pubs alone!!!

. that tells me the future is in classic traditional pubs with a run down and lived in feel to them.....

Definately, the Duke of Cumberland or the Royal Naval Reserve in Whitstable are great examples!There are some great pubs in Whitstable,Sheffield used to have lots of the same.......................anybody any clues re the Hare and Hounds in Stannington? Edited by mossdog

The Deerstalker at Stannington has now been shut for over a month.This has been coming on & off for the last few years.There were rumours it was going to be changed into a gym.I have heard it just may be refurbished and reopened as the pub again tho.

I suppose with all the pubs closing down it will stop binge drinking.

I will be getting a new job in the new year as an "expert" in how to stop binge drinking, and I have always said that if all the pubs shut, then people would not be able to get drunk

How about The Penguin at Shiregreen...I know it changed it's name but does anyone know if it's still open..???

I believe its rubble now.

I believe its rubble now.

No its not, its still open with new management. Its called the Shiregreen Arms.

I will be getting a new job in the new year as an "expert" in how to stop binge drinking, and I have always said that if all the pubs shut, then people would not be able to get drunk

Have supermarkets, garages, off licences etc stopped selling booze now ? :huh:

just heard that the landlord of the salutation at high green has been forced out

Lesson One : Revoke all supermarket liquor, beers, wines and spirits licences.......the phrase 'binge drinking' was never heard of before the supermarkets were allowed to sell the booze so cheaply .

In my humble opinion , the closure of so many pubs has damaged community spirit beyond repair and devastated whole neighbourhoods .

Research was carried out into this subject and it was found that, the more alcohol people consumed, the more intoxicated they became.

When people become intoxicated they then behave more oddly.

In fact, students at the local university have recently carried out a study themselves and there evidence bailed this out. They were each given £60 to spend on booze, to see what happened, and they reported back 2 days later with their findings.

The problem is pubs selling alcohol

Research was carried out into this subject and it was found that, the more alcohol people consumed, the more intoxicated they became.

When people become intoxicated they then behave more oddly.

In fact, students at the local university have recently carried out a study themselves and there evidence bailed this out. They were each given £60 to spend on booze, to see what happened, and they reported back 2 days later with their findings.

The problem is pubs selling alcohol

No wonder so many 'students' fail their courses these days then ..... too much alcohol and not enough in depth investigation . 2 days??????????? and who the hell gave each of them the £60 in the first place ?????

Come back to me in 2 years time on this one and try winding me up with the same findings ...... but try to differentiate between a cosy, well run , well organised back street pub and a city centre student orientated trendy bar . :roll:

No wonder so many 'students' fail their courses these days then ..... too much alcohol and not enough in depth investigation . 2 days??????????? and who the hell gave each of them the £60 in the first place ?????

Come back to me in 2 years time on this one and try winding me up with the same findings ...... but try to differentiate between a cosy, well run , well organised back street pub and a city centre student orientated trendy bar . :roll:

They applied for a grant on the grounds that it was for educational research. Thats how they each got £60