Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Ah yeah, never been that far down Commonside, when it splits off into Barber Road it seems like a different street entirely.

My friend is helping me move tomorrow, she wants to go out after (I reckon I'll be too knackered) and it might be better to investigate some locals instead of going out, out.

GOOD NEWS

The Old Heavygate Inn will re-open. YAY.

Any update on the Heavygate anyone? It reopened and then closed again.

Edited by warriormonk

Pubs are closing because we can't afford to go and we can't smoke .! Which all means people can't get together and discuss the real issues... I beleave that smoking and drinking should not be taxed at all. We only live once and to have our basic traditions and pleasures took away is quite simply , disgusting. Going to the pub these days is a luxury fewer and fewer can afford. My god it Realy p****s me off. A penny a pint is all beer costs to produce. And every pub should be full with locals all discussing the issues . But it seems that the shower in charge knows best! We need a revolution ,

Pubs are closing because we can't afford to go and we can't smoke .! Which all means people can't get together and discuss the real issues... I beleave that smoking and drinking should not be taxed at all. We only live once and to have our basic traditions and pleasures took away is quite simply , disgusting. Going to the pub these days is a luxury fewer and fewer can afford. My god it Realy p****s me off. A penny a pint is all beer costs to produce. And every pub should be full with locals all discussing the issues . But it seems that the shower in charge knows best! We need a revolution ,

WELL SAID:clap::clap: I am not sure if promoting a revolution is allowed on the forum, but the sooner someone tries to save the rest of the UK pub stock from vanishing like snowballs on a Greek beach, THE BETTER!! 4 pubs close every day at the moment, its massively accelerated from this time last year and too many will never ever open their doors again....

It defies all logic however, that in the small town I come from, Whitstable on the Kent Coast, all 17 pubs in this town have remained OPEN throughout the wave of closures of the last 3 years, against all the National trends. It seems some areas have escaped any casualties whatsoever, even though 17 pubs all within walking distance of each other and allstaying open is really against all conceivable odds!!!!! Even more against the odds is that all of them are run down, not been decorated since 1975 at least, 2 of which still have vinyl jukeboxes, and are proper 'old skool' pubs, with dartboard, etc from a bygone age....the only pub to close in last 10 years is one that was converted from a a classic old boozer into a trendy wine bar that may have looked OK on West Street in Sheffield, but it lasted 3 months there....thank God they learned their lesson and left the other classic pubs alone!!!

. that tells me the future is in classic traditional pubs with a run down and lived in feel to them.....

Edited by goldenfleece

WELL SAID:clap::clap: I am not sure if promoting a revolution is allowed on the forum, but the sooner someone tries to save the rest of the UK pub stock from vanishing like snowballs on a Greek beach, THE BETTER!! 4 pubs close every day at the moment, its massively accelerated from this time last year and too many will never ever open their doors again....

It defies all logic however, that in the small town I come from, Whitstable on the Kent Coast, all 17 pubs in this town have remained OPEN throughout the wave of closures of the last 3 years, against all the National trends. It seems some areas have escaped any casualties whatsoever, even though 17 pubs all within walking distance of each other and allstaying open is really against all conceivable odds!!!!! Even more against the odds is that all of them are run down, not been decorated since 1975 at least, 2 of which still have vinyl jukeboxes, and are proper 'old skool' pubs, with dartboard, etc from a bygone age....the only pub to close in last 10 years is one that was converted from a a classic old boozer into a trendy wine bar that may have looked OK on West Street in Sheffield, but it lasted 3 months there....thank God they learned their lesson and left the other classic pubs alone!!!

. that tells me the future is in classic traditional pubs with a run down and lived in feel to them.....

I preferred the old west street 15 years ago by far. Start at the top, walk down into town. Its extortion now if you have not got one of those uni cards. Bring back the halamshire with its different sorts instead of all these clones i.e. Students .

I preferred the old west street 15 years ago by far. Start at the top, walk down into town. Its extortion now if you have not got one of those uni cards. Bring back the halamshire with its different sorts instead of all these clones i.e. Students .

A quick tip - if you go in the Varsity on West Street, drink the real ale - it's significantly cheaper than the other draught products without any discount card.

Shepley Spitfire at Totley Rise has closed down, although is expected to reopen later this month. This is a tenanted pub owned by Greene King (or is that Greed Kerching?)

Fleur de Lys at Totley is still clinging on, the ale is well kept and home cooked bargain food is available lunchtime and tea time Tuesday to Friday (main courses priced from £1 to £5). It has been well publicised the court case with Enterprise Inns wishing to evict the tenants who have fallen behind on the rent here.

Hearty Oak Pub & Kitchen (formerly the Hearts of Oak) at Dronfield Woodhouse which has recently reopened under new ownership (it's now a freehouse after being sold by the pubco) is doing well and has increased the range of real ales available.

Kind of. I think it's more a case of being aware of where your market is and aligning your offer accordingly, and outside of city centres understanding its better not to compete with other pubs in the area, instead to do something slightly different in order to compliment and co-exist.

The one on the corner of sheffield lane top, sorry i dont know the name, was apparently up for sale, but not seen anything else about it!

Anyone know?

PS: if anyone has any spare crutches please pm me!

I nearly went into a Pub on Scotland Street in Sheffield, when I was at A4E, but they don't let you drink at lunchtime.

No wonder Public Houses are closing down.