Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

For those that are interested, The Mulberry on Arundel Gate is being refurbed for reopening, though not sure what it'll be like or if it will retain its old name. Also, directly opposite, the bar that was the DnR Bar briefly a couple of years ago, is reopening as Dulo, in place of the 'old' Dulo behind Waitrose.

According to another thread on here The Mulberry is being opened as a Gay venue.

For those that are interested, The Mulberry on Arundel Gate is being refurbed for reopening, though not sure what it'll be like or if it will retain its old name. Also, directly opposite, the bar that was the DnR Bar briefly a couple of years ago, is reopening as Dulo, in place of the 'old' Dulo behind Waitrose.

Going back to being called the Claymore? :hihi:

supermarket= 20 bottles £10 ,pub 1 bottle £2.50-£3.00 no compertion and have a fag at home without feeling like a leper

I certainly don't agree with what pubs are charging for drinks these days and neither do I agree with what you say. How much fun is it to sit at home, just two of you getting a few cans down you when all the mates are at the pub having a chat and a laugh. I wish there was an answer to this BIG problem but I can't see one, it is so sad what is happening, I just dread to think what social life will be like in 10years time. WHAT CAN WE DO? Whatever it is lets try and get together and sort it before it's too late. Once the pubs are either knocked down or turned into supermarkets it is too late. Very, very sad.

I didn't know the Cherry Tree (previously Hackenthorpe Club) had closed, when I went past today its disappeared just some steel work there.

It's not all bad news.

They must have spent a fortune on the Brown Bear refurb last year (judging from the time it was closed - not by any visible changes beyond taking the posters off the wall). "Henry's" is reopening. The "real ale trail" pubs seem to be surviving, and there's a big thread on the new bar on Platform 1 at the station (on the Going Out forum).

Oh, and the Moorfoot Tavern (!) is somehow surviving the Blitz at the bottom of the Moor (and Fanny's seems to be doing OK, thank goodness)..

I miss the Sportsman at Walkley, though (from when it was good, anyway, before it became a lager-boys-only hangout).

Several posts have been removed.

Edited by HotPhil

Noticed on my travels this week that a couple of my old haunts have been given 'makeovers'

The Tollgate at Pitsmoor is currently under refurbishment with a sign calling it 'BABYLON'....some sort of middle eastern/mediteranean restaurant.

The Foundry Arms at Wincobank is now a.....wait for it..... TANNING AND BEAUTY SALON !!!!

Can't you just imagine those foundry workers from years gone by turning in their graves !!

has the Harlequin closed? Ex Manchester between Wicker & Kellham Island.

Is The Chav and Pitbull still open on the Wyborn or did the smoking ban finally finish it off?

Noticed on my travels this week that a couple of my old haunts have been given 'makeovers'

The Tollgate at Pitsmoor is currently under refurbishment with a sign calling it 'BABYLON'....some sort of middle eastern/mediteranean restaurant.

The Foundry Arms at Wincobank is now a.....wait for it..... TANNING AND BEAUTY SALON !!!!

Can't you just imagine those foundry workers from years gone by turning in their graves !!

I should say!!! Tollgate a 'middle eastern/mediteranean restaurant' good heavens!:shakes:

has the Harlequin closed? Ex Manchester between Wicker & Kellham Island.

Good grief no, it's one of the best pubs in Sheffield and always does a roaring trade.

How about The Penguin at Shiregreen...I know it changed it's name but does anyone know if it's still open..???