Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

Hey! Talking of Castleton (kind of), The Bull's Head has now got the wonderfully magnificent Robinson's Old Tom on tap and in bottle form!

8.5% of winter warming bliss.

If you like Theakston Old Peculiar, then try this (although I could have sworn it used to be stronger than 8.5%, nearer 10%?).

I read in the Telegraph that the Norfolk Arms was under new management because the owners have appointed a management firm to run it. The article said that the place was going back to more traditional food. Anyone been in the last couple of weeks? have things improved?

Looks like the Old Harrow in White Lane is opening again. New windows, new pub sign gone up!

People have less disposable income; drinking at home is far cheaper (though IMO not that same as going out); there's multi-channel television, surround sound TV and DVD, computer games and the like. There are cinemas to go to, bowling alleys, restaurants and so on.

The pub is no longer the only place to go for a night out.

I'm 39 and I honestly believe that a generation beneath me simply chose not to follow my own and older generations into pubs. I love pubs, love going out and still get out as often as I can.

But there's no doubt about it: the pub as we know it - or knew it - is finished.

It's no coincidence that the pubs that are doing well are the ones selling trad beers, like Kelham Island..... Trad drinkers will always drink in the pubs - they can't get the same beer for home consumption.

IMO there are numerous reasons for pubs closing, the main one being alternative entertainment that has crept up over the past few years. There's so much else to do - Sky TV, internet, X Boxes etc. So many young people I see getting a slab of beer (24 cans) for a tenner and off round to a mates to play the X Box all night. Years ago these same people would have gone to the pub and spent the night on the pool table.

The smoking ban was kinda the final nail for many. Just when some of the pubs could have done without it.

Although....

2 pubs near us (Beehive and Horse & Jockey) have or are reopening. The Jockey has had a bit spent on it by the brewery, the Beehive has opened and is selling beer at a 'reasonable' price, so maybe the breweries are realising THEY need to be proactive in trying to get these places succesful instead of charging ridiculous rent and sky high beer prices.

But the pubs will never be the same, not as it used to be 20 years ago. As has been aluded to there is a lost generation of pub goers and it'll be a battle to get them back.

as said looks like the harrow is having a grand makeover,been a bit of a dump for ages,with the spot on the decline and the bush and red lion charging the earth for a beer,the harrow could benefit if they put on decent food because the car park is big enough and keep the beer cheap....£2.13 for carling in birley.........the harrow could still have entertainment at the weekend ..

hey up classic rock the comment you made its **** on theirs little fighting now in pubs..and its right about fighting in the streets.nice comment

you should go in the shiregreen arms theres enough fighting to share round all the pubs in sheffield..... yet another drinking hole on it's last legs

I noticed the Frecheville Hotel all boarded up now, but saw there was a light upstairs so looks like still occupied.

think it just opens at weekends,may get a new lease of life when the newstead estate is re-built....spent many happy days in the frechey......

I drove down Darnall Road on Saturday evening and was saddened to see The Ball all shut up and in a terrible state.

think it just opens at weekends,may get a new lease of life when the newstead estate is re-built....spent many happy days in the frechey......

Cant see it the windows are all boarded up.

Out of interest, did the pub trade as a whole mount any collective opposition to the smoking ban being introduced?

Did they foresee any difference in trade - good or bad, I suppose - in advance of its introduction, or were the breweries/landlords just steamrollered into accepting?

Looks like the Old Harrow at Gleadless is about to re-open soon, its had a make over with new windows etc fitted and is looking good.