Pubs closing down in Sheffield area megathread

We went to a pub in South Wales a couple of weeks ago, at 4 pm one rainy weekday afternoon. We'd just settled at the bar when the door opened and Mum, Dad and 2 under 5's came in. The kids raced, screaming around the pub, whilst the parents shouted after them from time to time, but otherwise ignored them. 15 minutes later, another family with small children came in. The bedlam was too much for us and for the 4 middle-aged people sitting chatting at a table the kids were running round and round and we left. At no time did either set of parents ask the children to be quiet. Between the 6 adults, we would have spent around £40+ if we'd been left in peace to have a couple of drinks each. If pubs would rather serve families (whose children didn't have a drink at all) and put off other who want a drink and a chat, I'm not surprised many of them are losing business.

Couldnt agree more, and its not just in pubs that other folks have to put up with "mummys little darlings" screaming and generally being a nuisance, its all over now, i think, let them get away with this behaviour, but dont inflict it on other people :rant:

Ban the sale of alcohol except in pubs, clubs and restaurants.

Would that solve the problem?

Well it would please the landlords by removing some competition and thus alowing them to get away with higher prices.

Infact I find it a bit sad that people seem to prefer to buy a cheap pack of stella and sit infront of the TV getting drunk.

Have you been round my gaff then. ;):)

Ban the sale of alcohol except in pubs, clubs and restaurants.

Would that solve the problem?

Solve what problem?

Pubs that close due to no trade, simply means that there is no trade for them.

No call for that particular pub in that location.

Why would you want to stop people being able to have their own drinks at home, such as someone else suggested at bbqs, party's etc.

The Wheel at Mosborough, that's shut too!

I don't think it'll be much longer before the Sportsman in Stannington either changes hands again or shuts.

Dad and I were in on Sunday, the place was heaving, and some drunk, stoned off his face moron was in causing a right barney, Landlord chucked him out, he snuck back in while the Landlord went back to the Bar and started mouthing off at everybody, the worst thing was, I was in the midst of thrashing Dad at Pool when this idiot started trying to cause trouble in the tap room! :rant:

I don't think it'll be much longer before the Sportsman in Stannington either changes hands again or shuts.

Dad and I were in on Sunday, the place was heaving, and some drunk, stoned off his face moron was in causing a right barney, Landlord chucked him out, he snuck back in while the Landlord went back to the Bar and started mouthing off at everybody, the worst thing was, I was in the midst of thrashing Dad at Pool when this idiot started trying to cause trouble in the tap room! :rant:

Should have given him a bit of the old hong kong phooey Rich.....(and no, im not taking the p)

Went in on Sunday and it was lively and busy. Credit to those involved in this place.

And thats the problem - one or two nights a week cannot keep a pub alive.

Try going in Midweek and lunchtimes, it's very different then.

Tony

just went out for a bike ride and I see the Walkley Cottage is all fenced off, skip out front and is most definitely closed.

To put minds at rest, I'm the Walkley Cottage Inn's Landlord.

Yes we are shut after advertising the fact for some weeks.

A total refurb is currently in hand with Punch.

New and brighter look, but hopefully with the same 'old' feel about it.

Disabled access and toilet. New upholstery, curtains, lighting etc. New look bar and a more open plan approach all round.

Bigger kitchen and a new, good value, menu is planned together with our famous senior citizens lunch.

The pub was in need of sprucing up and in spite of falling trade and rising costs, something had to be done. A tired pub starts to attract the wrong type of customers, which in turn scares off everyone else......

Yes pubs are closing left right and centre, The Hadfield, Noahs Ark, The Burgoyne etc- all local to me, but its not surprising when you consider....

Cheap beer at home, sold at a loss, by most supermarkets.

Smoking not allowed inside premises and pushed to doorways and gardens where non smokers used to sit with families and children enjoying the occasional sun and fresh air.

Minimum wage increasing each year.

Typical rates of £600 - 700 + a month.

Electric bills of around £900 a month.

Rising costs for beer and lager, as brewers try to keep up with inflation.

Big gas and water bills.

Sky (for us is a none starter because it's based on the rateable value of the property) costing £700 - £900 a month for the full pack and only bringing in a handful of customers.

Brewery managed houses offering cheaps beers at below our cost prices.

And a government that refuses to listen to the small businessman, always giving there support to the big boys of business.

And to boot - the average man on the street not getting pay rises etc to keep up with inflation and their rising cost of living.

I really hope the trade can overcome all its hurdles and get back on track or the community pub may well finish up being a thing of the past very soon, with the Wetherspoons type of bar being the only choice available. GOD FORBID!!!!!

Tony

Cool. I'm a big fan of the Walkley Cottage. Will be nice to see it freshened up too.

Good to hear Walkley Cottage being refurbished the other good new is rumour has it the Hadfield re-opens on the 18th September.