Parkwood springs stories please

My father in law worked as a backer in hallamshire having started as an 'odd lad'.  His eldest son richard followed him as a middler until 1969 when he had a bad road accident in September 1969 and never returned to that job.  I can remember amongst others Victor Ferrigan  who married Juliette in the  early 1970s.  I worked with her at sheffco.  They were both a lovely  couple.

The wives used to collect the men's wages on Thursdays from the hallamshire before they were spent in the pub. 

I always think of rolling mill men as 'proper blokes'. They had a hard job and did it well.

Happy days.

My grandmother lived at 45 Pickering Rd during WW 1.  This address may have been a shop. Her first husband, Wilfred Slinn, was killed at Ypres and she subsequently married my grand father John Henry Hibbs.  I believe they had 3 boys at that address before her untimely death in 1939. Soon after the family moved away.

45 was a shop.

On 02/07/2020 at 21:59, retep said:

Jack Hackett worked in the sheet mill.

Jack was our boss head roller was his title and his furnace man was a polish guy called Ted

were you there at that time

On 04/07/2020 at 13:22, Wensley1 said:

My father in law worked as a backer in hallamshire having started as an 'odd lad'.  His eldest son richard followed him as a middler until 1969 when he had a bad road accident in September 1969 and never returned to that job.  I can remember amongst others Victor Ferrigan  who married Juliette in the  early 1970s.  I worked with her at sheffco.  They were both a lovely  couple.

The wives used to collect the men's wages on Thursdays from the hallamshire before they were spent in the pub. 

I always think of rolling mill men as 'proper blokes'. They had a hard job and did it well.

Happy days.

I Started as an odd lad in 1967 then a backer and then middler our roller Jack Hackett who lived up near the Parkwood spring pub, he had a son called Keith who he reckoned was a mate of Andy Bown who played with Status Quo. not sure if its true

2 hours ago, John St Clair said:

I Started as an odd lad in 1967 then a backer and then middler our roller Jack Hackett who lived up near the Parkwood spring pub, he had a son called Keith who he reckoned was a mate of Andy Bown who played with Status Quo. not sure if its true

Jack had three sons Kieth became a referee, John was with Pete Stringfellow and Steve who had something to do with the glitter band and I believe the Alan Bown set,  was Ted the dark haired stocky fella, it was a bit back.

17 hours ago, retep said:

Jack had three sons Kieth became a referee, John was with Pete Stringfellow and Steve who had something to do with the glitter band and I believe the Alan Bown set,  was Ted the dark haired stocky fella, it was a bit back.

Your right it was Steve who had something to do with Alan Bown set , I didn't realise that Kieth was the referee. Yes Ted was a stocky guy, cant remember colour of his hair, but he used to go in the Malton which was run by a polish guy. Do you remember a guy called Bruno, I used to be a runner for him. I remember he won £10 one day and gave me a quid, thought I was rich. Did you work there same time as me?

Hi  John St Clair.  Looks as though you were there the same time as Ernest Caterer who worked there for many years and his son Richard who worked there after leaving school around 1961.  I'm not sure but I think Ernest's brother in law Jack Bower might have worked there as well.  Richard and his dad both used to drink in the other pub that for the life of me I can't remember the name off except it was opposite the hallamshire corner at the side of the river.  It became a centre for real ale at some point.  

2 hours ago, John St Clair said:

Your right it was Steve who had something to do with Alan Bown set , I didn't realise that Kieth was the referee. Yes Ted was a stocky guy, cant remember colour of his hair, but he used to go in the Malton which was run by a polish guy. Do you remember a guy called Bruno, I used to be a runner for him. I remember he won £10 one day and gave me a quid, thought I was rich. Did you work there same time as me?

Round about that time on the  maintenance side, other names that come to mind Casseldine, Kent, Duffy, for the sheet mill, big Yank and David for the big mill, Joe Webster, Jack Lumb , George Smith wire mill. 

Forgot Tiddy for the subs.

Edited by retep

I went to school with Fred Kent and he got me the job in the sheet mill his cousin Alan worked with Duffy and a guy called Jubb cant remember his first name.

The furnace man was a guy called Charlie (Wag)

Do you remember the roll grinder I think his name was Eric and he walked with a limp

Also remember Castledine think his name was big Mick

23 hours ago, Wensley1 said:

Hi  John St Clair.  Looks as though you were there the same time as Ernest Caterer who worked there for many years and his son Richard who worked there after leaving school around 1961.  I'm not sure but I think Ernest's brother in law Jack Bower might have worked there as well.  Richard and his dad both used to drink in the other pub that for the life of me I can't remember the name off except it was opposite the hallamshire corner at the side of the river.  It became a centre for real ale at some point.  

Hi Wensley. Jack Bower rings a bell. The other pubs were Gardeners rest or The Crown Also Neepsend Tavern going towards Hillfoot bridge

Hi john st clair. Thanks for saving my sanity.  It was the gardeners.  We also went in the crown of an evening where we eventually were banned from taking part in the weekly  pin ball machine competition.  The prize for the highest score was either a bottle of port or sherry and we won 12 x bottles on the trot which we used for the toast  at our wedding in 1969.  Believe the land lady's name might be kitty and you didnt mess with her.  Also not 100% sure but think the premises were used in sean bean's film when saturday comes.  BTW Ernest eventually became a roller and stayed there until he was made redundant in the 80s.  Sadly he's no longer with us.  He used to light up a room when he came in.  What a character.  Correction to earlier dates.   Richard married 1969 left hallamshire after road accident in 1973.

On 09/07/2020 at 17:05, Wensley1 said:

Hi john st clair. Thanks for saving my sanity.  It was the gardeners.  We also went in the crown of an evening where we eventually were banned from taking part in the weekly  pin ball machine competition.  The prize for the highest score was either a bottle of port or sherry and we won 12 x bottles on the trot which we used for the toast  at our wedding in 1969.  Believe the land lady's name might be kitty and you didnt mess with her.  Also not 100% sure but think the premises were used in sean bean's film when saturday comes.  BTW Ernest eventually became a roller and stayed there until he was made redundant in the 80s.  Sadly he's no longer with us.  He used to light up a room when he came in.  What a character.  Correction to earlier dates.   Richard married 1969 left hallamshire after road accident in 1973.

Hi 

Did you know any of the office staff, there was a girl called Margaret Hill I had a  thing for her around 1968, but I was a bit naive and she rightly dumped me. would love to know how she is and what she is up to now