Parkwood springs stories please

There are stories that the film producer had relatives in Sheffield and Edinburgh which had a bearing on locations chosen but I haven't been able to find any way of confirming that. It's certainly a very curious choice of locations.

There was also a children's film made in the early sixties or late fifties which used Parkwood Springs/Neepsend locations. I can't remember the title but the plot involved something being stolen from a steelworks- wages, secret formula maybe.

Edited by Person6

You have some interesting points there.

I remember there being a pit pony from the pit being put out to graze because it was blind . At this time the pits would have been nationalised , or one would assume .

I only remember the Gunpits as that . I remember my cousin playing football on the woods on Rutland road , opposite Woodfold .

None the less , you have some very historical interest points there .

That bit of flat ground opposite Woodfold was a regular football pitch for us 'Woodys.' There was many a 'brick war' back then between the 'Springers' and 'Woodys'. Of course this was before the whole area was landscaped.

Picture of Wallace Road, the house where Orwell would have stayed, just below the post next to the car.

http://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=zoomWindow&keywords=Ref_No_increment;EQUALS;s20267&prevUrl=

I am confused now. Someone said it was up the rd on the right. I think the one in the foreground is 193. The even numbers being on the left in the photo. 154 being 15 houses down (on the thread I think).

I am confused now. Someone said it was up the rd on the right. I think the one in the foreground is 193. The even numbers being on the left in the photo. 154 being 15 houses down (on the thread I think).

The houses with the gate hanging open are on the right hand side looking up,even numbers, the photo is looking down Wallace from the top 193 being the last house on the left looking up,

154 is on the gate side, the gate being 182.

The people up there now have uncovered an old well

The people up there now have uncovered an old well

Which road.

in between Wallace and Pickering at the top. old curved bricks.

I have photos, do you ever visit?

in between Wallace and Pickering at the top. old curved bricks.

I have photos, do you ever visit?

There was a well in Rock House would be around half way up Pickering.

A Friend of mine when I was a lad his father had an allotment on Parkwood Springs. He was called Jack Smith and he use to walk from Springvale road every time.

I lived in the pub right at the top of Parkwood Springs, The Douglas Inn.

My aunty and uncle ( Joan + Clarrie Whittaker ) owned the pub and were there for a few years until 1974 when it closed for demolition. Does anybody remember them ?

i can remember an ian drury lived in one of the pubs,i can also remember there was a well on the bowling green..

i can remember an ian drury lived in one of the pubs,i can also remember there was a well on the bowling green..

That would be the Malton Hotel, Burton Road.