Parkwood springs stories please

It is quite interesting looking at the discussion which is going on .

Someone is trying to ask a question , or make a point about their wishing to look more in depth about the history of parkwood springs . Everyone is talking around this guy . Not because they wish to ignore him , rather it is to look at what is being said or , by whom , from their past .It is their past that is more important to them , not what someone wishes to know about their past . Their past is a part of their lives - not someone else's .

Does anyone remember the fire brigade draining the quarry at the top of Pickering road after a heavy downpour . I certainly do .

I was always told that it was because it was seeping through into the old pit.

The mine at the Springs was owned by the Webster family who lived on Penrith Rd it was a drift mine and not a deep shaft one.Shirecliffe college was built on the site of the Prefabs on Standish Rd.The Gunpits was a football training ground and a Helicopter landing pad.Hope this helps.

I believe that it stored drinking water for the supply of Parkwood and Neepsend.

There was a fair sized well at the bowling green, the water tank as far as i know was below on the rec, used as an emergency tank during the war.

There was a fair sized well at the bowling green, the water tank as far as i know was below on the rec, used as an emergency tank during the war.
The tank in fact was a supply tank the same as the one on Moonshine Lane only the one at the springs had a lid on it,the bowling green.

The tank in fact was a supply tank the same as the one on Moonshine Lane only the one at the springs had a lid on it,the bowling green.

Do you have any proof of the tank under the bowling green, i remember the well, right hand side going in green doors covering it, can't imagine pigstys being allowed any where near drinking water, let alone 40 feet away.

The mine at the Springs was owned by the Webster family who lived on Penrith Rd it was a drift mine and not a deep shaft one.Shirecliffe college was built on the site of the Prefabs on Standish Rd.The Gunpits was a football training ground and a Helicopter landing pad.Hope this helps.

You have some interesting points there.

I remember there being a pit pony from the pit being put out to graze because it was blind . At this time the pits would have been nationalised , or one would assume .

I only remember the Gunpits as that . I remember my cousin playing football on the woods on Rutland road , opposite Woodfold .

None the less , you have some very historical interest points there .

You have some interesting points there.

I remember there being a pit pony from the pit being put out to graze because it was blind . At this time the pits would have been nationalised , or one would assume .

I only remember the Gunpits as that . I remember my cousin playing football on the woods on Rutland road , opposite Woodfold .

None the less , you have some very historical interest points there .

Who's name would have been "Tommy"

Parkwood Ganister and Coal Mine-1938-1963.

Who's name would have been "Tommy"

Parkwood Ganister and Coal Mine-1938-1963.

I remember a " TOMMY " horse pulling a covered fruit and veg . cart around the springs . On dark nights the cart was equipped with a tilly lamp . I also remember

one of the lads calling out " Gerroup " , and the horse walking on down Pickering road and the fruit man running after it . The horse quite often used to feed on the grass in the front gardens when it stopped . It was also an aggressive old bugger , It turned on one or two people when they passed .

A friend of mine worked in the gannister mine which it primarily was but they did occasionally came upon a coal seam. The mine would have been too small to be included in the nationalization programme and I don't think ganister was in that category.The only proof I have about the tank are my own eyes and the info that our school teacher told us at the time 1955 I remember that I was fascinated that it had a lid on it.Maybe Sheffield Archives have some info,in the meantime I will ask some friends who are springers.

That would be interesting . Who was the teacher ? I can remember that there was a heck of a lot of water up there - hence the name springs .Water sprang up from everywhere. I lived on Pickering road and we had a well fed by a spring in our cellar which fed a fountain in the garden .

I just phone the friend who worked in the mine,he apologised for the wrong info,the mine was owned by Websters but not the ones on Penrith Rd it was taken over by Pickford-Holland and then by J.J.Dyson Refactories. Mike did you know Eddie Lewis who lived up there also John and Tony Dungworth.