Anyone been to beamish museum ?

has anyone been to beamish museum we are thinking about taking our 6 year old when the weather gets a bit nicer

was wondering what its like and is it worth the long trip up north xx

thanks x sharon

Yes.....:thumbsup:? I went a couple of years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it. I went on a Sheffield tram as well..one of the old ones that I just may well have been on before, to go to work on......

I'm sure the 6 year old will be entertained too although we were just 4 adults that went.

There is a school and although it reminded me of my schooldays, it was still going back a bit even from then.

There is an olde worlde Solicitors office to go in and as my daughter is in that line, I took loads of photos for her.:hihi:

Shops as they were, houses as they were...brilliant and I am hoping to go again.....don't forget your camera and enjoy.

thanks joan xxxx ill deffo go now my daughter is really into history to say shes only 6 she comes home from school so excited about the history shes learned ,thats why we are going to take har

thanks verry much xxx

I remember thinking when I was there how great it would have been if I'd known about the place when my children were small....I know they would have loved it.

As it was, when I came home, I sent them long detailed emails as to what it was like, along with the photos:hihi:There's an olde worlde sweetshop as well which is good fun....oooh! lucky you...

I've been too. I was about 8 months pregnant with my second child, so not a good time to go down underground in small spaces, but I did. :rolleyes:

We all really enjoyed it and spent most of the day there.

I used to live up there and it was the default location for school trips when I was a kid!!

Went up a few months ago and loved every minute of it. It changes all the ime as they add more and more stuff....and dont forget, its all real!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v390/hjdary/?action=view&current=P9021772.jpg

p.s. Straight up the M1 join the A1 and carry on north.....past Scotch Corner still on the A1 and its about another fifteen to twenty minutes and you'll see that it is sign posted from there.

I wanted to take my wife up there on Thursday for her birthday as a day out but checked and it doesn't open properly till April.

Iirc I went, probably with School, 20 odd years ago.

If there's one tourist attraction I want to go to that I haven't been before though, it's definitely Cadbury World in Bourneville, I've promised myself I WILL go there one day.

I went when I was little, had a great time!!! I can remember the little school that you can sit in,and the mine shaft, and horses!! I would go again now (obviously under the "taking the niece and nephew" guise) if my leg would allow it!!!!!!

It's pretty crap to be honest.. Not much to see or do while you're there, I really wouldn't bother. Depends what floats your boat though I guess. I'm interested in history and how previous generations used to live just found the whole place very dull. The pub was ok.. the rest was moribond.