Is it acceptable for a doctor to Google your symptoms?

Not as bad as a certain company I saw sending people out to safety test equipment and the people doing it had never been trained and had to google it.:|

Same as using a medical dictionary , you just don't have to keep turning pages, I spend more time on Google than any other site, I google any meds I get to double check other side effects ect, i've even googled the ingredients on my shampoo bottles :) , you'll be surprised what you're putting in or on your body :o

Even if you think it doesn't look good, there's a big difference between a lay person googling without having the knowledge to discriminate between sites, and a medically trained person who knows the sites that are 'kosher' and reliable in their information, and knows how to sift that information.

my doctor did it with me when i wanted treatment for achne. i dont think its a problem. they may just be checking as like a second opinion. dont worry x

my doctor did it with me when i wanted treatment for achne. i dont think its a problem. they may just be checking as like a second opinion. dont worry x

As long as they're not looking up things like "sickness in the am, large bump in tummy" :confused:

Or even checking spelling of big words.

I remember an argument I had with a senior member of NHS staff over the word Hydatidiform. They were convinced it was Hydatiform

turns out in the end we were both correct but without access to Google we were forced into a fist fight :hihi:

it is but i have to say it annoys me!!

I can do the 'googling' bit myself and when i go to the doctors (which getting an appt is like gold dust!) i expect to be told somethnig i dont already know!

Last time i went this happened and i did get mad and said to her "i could have done all that at home, what was the point in coming to see you"

"i dont seem to be much help do i" was the reply!

You see also, a lot of the time, the GP will know that the patient will have Googled all the upto date symptoms etc anyway just to 'test' the Dr - yes they realy do - so by using a PC themselves, disarms the patient & their sneering little game. :nod:

(speaks from the experience of a friend & collegue)

When I first trained in General Practice, my chief made me leave the consulting room to look up books of any sort. Later, I made a point of checking dosage, especially for children, in the patient's presence (the book called MIMS). Almost all patients appreciated my checking with the book.

Now, I see my doctors having the prescription written for them by computer; apparently it cross-checks my other medications, and any allergies in my record, as well as government rules on quantity.

I have no difficulty with a doctor checking my condition with a google or two, especially if he can show me a good picture!

A doctor knows which reference websites are appropriate and are designed specifically for this purpose. If they didn't do it in front of you they'd be doing it when you left. I'm far happier with a doctor that admits they've not seen something before and isn't sure what it is than one that tries to 'blag' it.

Having said that, if I caught them using Wikipedia I'd start getting worried..... :P

How times change.. I guess we must be old fashioned:)