Old Sheffield dialect

Thanks myusernameha , I haven't heard this for years. If ever we had a yard concert someone would stand up and recite this but I could never remember it from start to finish.

Someone I worked with used to say it a lot and I got her to write it down, it seems to have been a popular poem in its day.

The full poem:

Ear all see all an sey neowt

Eagt all supp all an pay neowt

An if tha ever duss owt fer neowt aluss do it fur thisen.

This is the ethos most dee dahs live by today ... basically try to get everything for free and sod everyone else not matter what the consequences.

Someone I worked with used to say it a lot and I got her to write it down, it seems to have been a popular poem in its day.

The first line rang a bell but I could not remember the rest. Then it all came back as I read it through. One my Maternal Grandmother used to entertain us with she used to say it was said to her by a mean old woman.

Shuntelly or Shuntly (Glitzy)

---------- Post added 14-11-2016 at 22:24 ----------

Fettlin (Cleaning)

I was remembering my mum the other day, when she'd tell us to stop scroaming about on the floor, and my dad telling me to wipe my my snish (nose) if I was crying. Also if I didn't have any socks on, my mum would say " You'll get summat yer'll not get shut on." I still don't know what it is!!!!!!

I was remembering my mum the other day, when she'd tell us to stop scroaming about on the floor, and my dad telling me to wipe my my snish (nose) if I was crying. Also if I didn't have any socks on, my mum would say " You'll get summat yer'll not get shut on." I still don't know what it is!!!!!!

the socks one means 'you'll get something you won't get rid of' :)

the socks one means 'you'll get something you won't get rid of' :)

housenan wants to know what the "something" is:)

housenan wants to know what the "something" is:)

Was it kincoff. Know you could get this by sitting on cold steps, so my grandma would tell me.

Living here in Texas, nobody has a clue what Sheffield is, so I'm forced to simply say England and 9/10 that brings up a conversation on The Queen.

Tell them it's where you used to get cutlery from, until the government sold all the technical knowledge to the Chinese and then sold all of us down the Yangtze river.

Tell them it's where you used to get cutlery from, until the government sold all the technical knowledge to the Chinese and then sold all of us down the Yangtze river.

Funny you should mention that, I actually found some Sheffield Steel cutlery in an antique shop here, it's a shame that's all gone now..

It's a novelty here too, so much so that the old stuff is being turned into sculptures and jewelery.