Old Sheffield dialect

Originally posted by Plain Talker

"nannan and courtney wearing our shunkly tops!".PT

I think "nannan" is a Sheffield word. O've not heard it anywhere else, just nana or gran or grandma.

What about that when you asked your mum what was for tea and she always replied "A run round't table an a kick at cellar door".

And blokes who stopped in the pub after 2 on a Sunday lunch were referred to as "puddin' burners".

rooering roo-er-ing ..... crying

Originally posted by pitsmoorlad

If single words fool the Southerners then a whole sentence will really leave em gobsmacked. Like " Gioer roorin mardy arse and get thissen off ooem" ..............next suggestion please.

i betta git mesen off ooem or ill geet reet done of me fava.

Originally posted by RoyalRegular

What about that when you asked your mum what was for tea and she always replied "A run round't table an a kick at cellar door".

And blokes who stopped in the pub after 2 on a Sunday lunch were referred to as "puddin' burners".

lol, ppudding burneres is the insult that the blokes in the "top-club" hurl at any woman who calls house on the sunday lunchtime bingo - sorry! TOMBOLA! session. (the park and arbourthorne club, at the top of city road- as opposed to teh Middle club - the Manor Social Club, or the bottom club- the Arundel ex-servicemen's club)

and, by god! woe betide anyone that makes but a ha'p'orth of noise whilst't tombola is being called. Even the noise of placing the beer glass back down on the table is enough to bring up shouts of "Best of order please! we've got' t tombola on, 'ere!"

eeeh! the great god, tombola!

and Scroamin' / scroarmin, is up there with the phrase "tee-amin (teeming) and ladlin', which are phrases that my mother used to use, too.

PT

I've just thought of a few words my nan uses :

Throssel - as in a "throsseling stick" - a stick used to poke something

Entrantelments - not sure here but I think it means luggage and stuff

She also uses "teeming" - when refering to the amount of rain - "it's teeming with rain"

NICK 2

Entrantelments

I think you'll find it is another form of saying tranclements which is the proper word meaning all the bits and bobs that the slaughterer cuts from a beast.

When I was a kid in Sheffield it was always used to refer to odds and ends such as found in a button box or all the small items that had collected in a drawer.

Happy Days

I was trawling through dictionaries to see if I could legitimately use the word 'tranclements' in my PhD thesis. The only place I found it was via a web search which brought me to you. This word was commonly used by my Dad when instucting us to collect our conclomoration of stuff scattered around the house.

The stuf that now gets used in conceptual fine art. Fine memories.

I was so pleased to find that someone else other than me & our kid (sorry - my brother) use the word shunkley because no-one else seems to have heard of it! We always look for Christmas cards with shunkley on. Also, tranklements is a word I learned from my husbands Nan.

My husband says "I've got a dab on" if he's sweating and casey edge for pavement edge. He also calls a half brick a half docker, is this Sheffield, or has he made it up?

hi,

I once worked on a site with a london guy who would go missing when lorries needed unloading and during a row about this I told him he was , freetend uh collar ( frightened of work )

I might as well a spoke japanese

thi's a reight cool bugga in Baarnsley. He bought a car with a Private Plate S1THE (Si Thi) !!! Its true.

Si Thi means see you, for anyone from not round ere