Old Sheffield dialect

"Bonny" as in "She's a bonny lass" meaning a larger lady.[/QUOT

In the northeast it meant good looking lol

I love 'yitten', my dad always says it to us.

Yitten meant scared

Imagine Britain's very own Enigma code..."sheffieldish", could never have been broken LOL :cool:

Me and a mate were at an antique fair chatting at a stall and the fella at the stall asked what country we were from, he was from London.

Me and a mate were at an antique fair chatting at a stall and the fella at the stall asked what country we were from, he was from London.

I,m not surprised I can,t understand thee aif at time!.:huh::huh:

If tha does owt for nowt ollus do it for thisen

Put cleean knickers on tha might get knocked down

Hicky with his eye out/ cut.

Lairy packet

I,m not surprised I can,t understand thee aif at time!.:huh::huh:

I'll have you know I had elocution lessons from Whitey.

I hate doing it, but as I live in Dubai I have to tone my dialect down a tad.

This still doesn't stop people asking where I'm from though. When I've said the UK they immediately think London. I'm apparently also from the US, Australia, South Africa and Germany.....

I work with a lot of Indians who think I sound like Geoffrey Boycott. I'm female :|

Could be worse. One of my mates here who's a Brummy was on the phone to someone and got asked if he was Chinese :hihi:

I work with a lot of Indians who think I sound like Geoffrey Boycott.

Easy solution: emulate him and run out.

I hate doing it, but as I live in Dubai I have to tone my dialect down a tad.

This still doesn't stop people asking where I'm from though. When I've said the UK they immediately think London. I'm apparently also from the US, Australia, South Africa and Germany.....

I work with a lot of Indians who think I sound like Geoffrey Boycott. I'm female :|

Could be worse. One of my mates here who's a Brummy was on the phone to someone and got asked if he was Chinese :hihi:

Living here in Texas, nobody has a clue what Sheffield is, so I'm forced to simply say England and 9/10 that brings up a conversation on The Queen.

Living here in Texas, nobody has a clue what Sheffield is, so I'm forced to simply say England and 9/10 that brings up a conversation on The Queen.

After35 years in Canada, people ask me if I am Australian, South African, Scottish, Welsh, Irish anything but English. Once, however while phoning the Tax office about a form, the young Canadian at the other end, asked me which part of Sheffield I came from, I almost fell over:o. Apparently his parents were from Grenoside when they emigrated to Canada with him and his brother, who were both little, and his dad talked exactly like me lol.

Similar happenings to me. I always say Sheffield when asked where I am from, then if not known, I explain where it is and what it does and has done. I usually tell the story about the Cruiser Sheffield in WW2, and the role it played in tracking & sinking the Bismark !

Yes about the only country the inquirer does not connect me too is England !