Old Sheffield dialect

Guest makapaka

Get oor thi sen.

On 18/01/2005 at 16:46, cgksheff said:

Brossen is fairly widespread over northern England on both sides of the Pennines.

Nesh is also used outside Yorkshire but I haven't actually heard it on my travels. Some think it could have a connection with the french for snow (neige)

I'd not made that connection between "nesh" and "neige" but I think you may be onto something there.  I bet it came directly from the lips of Billy The Conqueror when he arrived here in 1066, or thereabouts.  

My mum used the same expression as Jaffa1's mum when she was telling us to stop pulling faces and taking the micky out of other people behind  their backs. She pronounced it "mini-mokin'' - but it's much the same thing.

Another one that my mum regularly came out with was that we had "gowl" in our eyes  when we were kids, when we woke up of a morning  with sticky, dried up crusty bits in our eyelashes and the corner of our eyes.

31 minutes ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

Another one that my mum regularly came out with was that we had "gowl" in our eyes  when we were kids, when we woke up of a morning  with sticky, dried up crusty bits in our eyelashes and the corner of our eyes.

I remember that one too, we must have come from the same street 😃

1 hour ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

My mum used the same expression as Jaffa1's mum when she was telling us to stop pulling faces and taking the micky out of other people behind  their backs. She pronounced it "mini-mokin'' - but it's much the same thing.

It is mimi or mini mokin’ and is a hybrid of ‘mimic’ and ‘mini moke’, which was an off road version of the mini car, designed in the 60’s.

ive heard this said many a time

That not back"erd at comin for"erd

2 hours ago, FIRETHORN1 said:

It was always 'bed' at our house.

"Owd still, you've got some bed in your eyes."

Guest makapaka
4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

It was always 'bed' at our house.

"Owd still, you've got some bed in your eyes."

My mam said “bed” in your eyes.

52 minutes ago, beefface said:

It is mimi or mini mokin’ and is a hybrid of ‘mimic’ and ‘mini moke’, which was an off road version of the mini car, designed in the 60’s.

I thought this was my mother-In-law losing her marbles cos she says this to my daughter and I’d never heard it before.

Guest makapaka
On 26/10/2019 at 23:33, sedith said:

- Calling the evening meal "tea" instead of "dinner"

Originally from Sheffield ... these days I live in the west country and lunch is between 12 noon and 2pm, tea is around 4pm and dinner is around 6pm to 9pm!

Nobody is right and nobody is wrong!!

True. each to their own.

But I hate people calling it dinner instead of tea.

it’s just so ingrained.

i get it at big events “an evening dinner at x”  - But when it’s basically you having your tea at home it always strikes me as pretentious. 

20 hours ago, makapaka said:

My mam said “bed” in your eyes.

It was always mam at our house too, not mum.